Layout with 18" radius curves

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Hello there,

This is my second attempt at planning a layout. I haven't shown where the bridges and pylons go, but you can probably figure it out. I 've never worked with real track and I am hoping that I can put a passing siding in the tunnel. That way I can park one of my trains in the tunnel while the other makes a few circuits.

I want to have a paddlewheeler on the lake. Paddlewheelers were replaced by fright trains and for a while they worked side by side, each a link in a chain. The town will realy be a fright depo sort of place. The biggest business in town will be the saw mill and one of the trains will be a logging train.

Does anyone see a problem with the way I got the track laid out? I would be grateful for your comments.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Dern this thing! If this image dose not load, it is not a clown gag. I tried to edit the previous posts amd could not. I could not reload the image in edit as well. I made sure it is the right size too. So I will try one more time, and if it don't work, would someone with the power please get rid of this mess. One more clowny try. Here gose.....

Attachments

• train layout new.jpg
    train layout new.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 554

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi TC,

These are the limits I am working with too (4x8, 18" and 22" radii), and it does present challenges.

However, a logging themed layout would not be out of place with the paddlewheeler, steep grades, and tight turns. You may want to consider the layout of the "yard" - it kind of just spralls right now - do you have a specific purpose for each track? Also, you might want to consider a siding next to the lake at some sort of "transfer" facility.

I think the paddlewheeler is really cool - lots of opportunity for animation there!! :D

That's my 2 cents... Hope it helps!

Andrew

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi TC!
I think it looks like a great plan for scenery & railfanning...
My only suggestion would be to work in some type of runaround, or escape track in, or near the yard area, for better operating possibilities.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
MasonJar: I don't look at what you call "the yard" as a yard at all. Rather they are spurs to suply businesses. Each line end would have a specific purpose. True, I would undoubtedly use them to park stuff, but it would not be set up as a yard per sey.

Of Course! Insight! A siding by the lake seems natural enough. I wasn't sure if I could get one in. Cargo would be handled by wranglers with wagons who would deliver to the clearing houses at the end of track.

By the way, only 18" curves were used in my plan. No 22" curves were used. I add a short pice of straight track to change a circle to an oval.

Charlie: Its not in the plan, but I do want to put a passing siding off the loop of track that goes through the tunnel. That way I can hide a train in there. Then I can imagin that the tunnel portals are not connectet and they join my little vally to the outside world. With that thinking, the train yard would be someplace else and this would just be a community along the line.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi TrainClown, I like it! How far are you away from starting it ??
Are you going to cookie cut the river? If you mount your plywood on a 2" 1/2" pine surround it will give you a bit of depth to work with.
Just an Idea.;)
Stop clowning around and get on with it:D :D :D :D :D :D :p

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
interurben: I do plan on cutting out the lake to give it some depth. I want to use that clear resin. I think it will look good that all my water craft seem to be floating. Mabie by the end of summer I can start to build my layout. I got to do some building for the wife first. I just came inside from sanding drawers for the kitchen counter :( but I'm always thinking about the layout. ;)

jon monon: I had a good time to. A nice brake from woodworking. :D

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
It looks like it could be a lot of fun. Just remember that with an 18 inch radius, you need to limit the size of your locos and rolling stock. I think most model Shays and Climaxes will work on that tight radius, some of the logging guys here would know better than me. For a rod type engine, I think a consolodation or mikado would be about the biggest that would work well, but a mogul (2-6-0) would probably be better. If you want to use diesels, I wouldn't go bigger than a gp 35 or 40. I wouldn't use any 6 axle diesels except perhaps an Alco rsd4/5. 40 & 70 ton G.E.'s, or switchers like an Emd sw, Alco s series, or Baldwin would be better. If you run old time equipment like the Roundhouse 2-8-0 and the various old timer cars from round house, the 18 inch radius will seem huge!

Puppetengineer

May 6, 2003
Vancouver Island B.C.
Visit site
GHost town suggestion

Hey dad.This would be cool in a grave yard or on the out skirts of town.;) :D :) :cool:

Heack you could even have buffy Slayer roaming your grave yard. Or a barbarian or so on. Any way beack later:D

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
New Idea!

After looking through the posts I got an idea for my layout. I could put a second layer under my layout and run a bunch of tracks under there. This would give me a staging yard to park my trains. This is a good idea because I plan to have a few different types of trains, one for the saw mill, one for the mine, one for passengers, and one for freight ( mabie even a ghost train for my ghost town :) ).

I don't want a train yard as such on my layout. I want it to be more like one of the stops along the way. With the underground staging area I will be able to run a train around for a while, then bring out another one for a bit. I will make the track descend inside the tunnel and ascend there too, so a visitor will never know what will emerge from the tunnel, and the layout will look like part of a giant layout.

My layout will be lowered from the ceiling on cables and perch on the railing that keeps a body from falling down the back stairs. If I leave the lower level open in the middle then I will be able to access the lower level by standing on the stairs.I think the key to a successful layout will be to get the lower level of track to operate perfectly, then when the top is built there will be less chance of lower level derailments.

I will have a boat trailer crank type winch to raise and lower the layout so transition will be smooth and reliable.

I think this will work. Have I forgotten anything? Is there something I'm overlooking?

Oh Experienced ones, comments will be appreciated. :)