Layout Update

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
Well, I think I've got my 16 year old hooked, he decided that he wanted to work on the layout instead of going out with friends for New Year's Eve.

Here is the first Mountain and Portal we've ever built... Gentlemen tell us if we are even close at our first shot at this, does the mountain look correct?

We are clueless about scenery, we watched a video and read a couple books. Just slopping stuff on and guessing all the way. At least its fun. We had enough brains to mask all the track.

DOG and DOG Jr.

Attachments

• mvc-015f.jpg
    mvc-015f.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 341

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
Here's a few more shots displaying our award winning scenery!

Attachments

• mvc-018f.jpg
    mvc-018f.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 339

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by Mastiffdog
Here is the first Mountain and Portal we've ever built... Gentlemen tell us if we are even close at our first shot at this, does the mountain look correct?
DOG and DOG Jr.

According to your location on your id you are from Camarillo. Just look outside. If I remember Camarillo correctly, it is backed up by mountains to the East, and the Pacific Ocean to the West. Model your hometown scenery and you won't go wrong. By the way, your scenery looks great.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Yep, thats okay doing it that way with what looks like the plaster gauze bandage called in the UK(Modrock). I don't myself use this anymore, (I Used to) I now use "Blue-hawk" undercoat plaster.
Shamus

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
Here's some new shots. We were admonished by our geological superintendent on our portal blasting and were told to remove the overhanging rock:

Attachments

• mvc-001f.jpg
    mvc-001f.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 225

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
I am not sure how smooth the coat of hydrocal should be before texturing, so we're just winging it. We also colored our plaster with household latex flat and some raw umber liquitex acrylic.

Attachments

• mvc-003f.jpg
    mvc-003f.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 225

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
A few more looks of the beginnings of the "flatlands"

Attachments

• mvc-004f.jpg
    mvc-004f.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 223

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
All experts please chime in, we need all the help we can get:

Attachments

• mvc-005f.jpg
    mvc-005f.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 219

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Dog & Pup

That`s the way I would do it. For your first attempt you look like a pro!!!! You make a good team, and that`s great .

Don`t smooth it to much,, if you want rock outcrops in the Hill and falling land scape Now is the time to do it.
Keep up the good work you to.:thumb:

Anachron

Dec 8, 2003
Sweden
Well, I think I've got my 16 year old hooked, he decided that he wanted to work on the layout instead of going out with friends for New Year's Eve.

hehe im 19 and I stayed inside and worked on my layout til the clock was 6 in the mornin ;)

wish I could show more people in my age how fantastic this hobby is :) :) :)

I havent made any scenerey for my mountin yet so I will be watching this thread :)

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
masking the tracks before applying the goop :thumb: - sounds like you have been doing this for years. Good looking start for your scenery. Adding color to the plaster - another veteran trick. are you sure you are just beginning?;) :) :) :thumb:

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
I love to read and learn. I bought Dave Frarry's book that uses the water soluble methods. We also purchased a few videos to watch on scenery building. All I can tell you is to read, read and read. Also, find the best modeler at your local hobby shop, give them some business and listen - they'll tell you everything they know and then some. Find out if they are members of the local club too.

We just stay as clean and organized as possible and pre-purchase the tools and suppliers we will need to do the job correctly. We researched Hydrocal. There are dozens of hydrocal products, but we found out that the correct one is "Hydrocal White". I am sure other stuff works well, but why tempt fate? We used Scultamold is certain places too. We also mixed in our latex flat into our plaster. 1/4 cup ice cold water, 1/4 cup latex color (1:1) and 2 cups plaster.

Figure if we're gonna learn, we'll try to do it right. If we make some mistakes, we can always tear it out and try again. One thing we have learned is that scenery is more forgiving than track laying and wiring up the DCC.

All best of all, we're having fun planning and building as we go along. It's a great father and son experience - one we can hold onto for life.

DOG