Layout Construction

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Southern4449, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Southern4449

Southern4449 Member

Hello everyone,
    Here are some pics of my 35 x 15 HO layout
    This one is the layout plan

Here some benchwork is being constructed

Here are some of the track layed
    This one is to the lumber mill. There is a 4% grade to the middle track that uses a helper district, and a 6% grade to the top for the Shays.

The triple bridge area

and the yard area, it still needs some roadbed but you get the idea..

Here is the cable that I use to power the layout, its a great deal at $.30 a foot!! It allows power drops to the rail and wire for switches,lights,etc... QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone see concerns on the 6% grade using Shays???

Well I got impatient and had to run some trains. Still all of the scenery to do but it is wired and running with no derails!!!
    I took a quick video with sound...I'd say the diesel was goin a little fast...LOL¤t=Picture002.flv
  2. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

I think all the HO model Shays will go up a 6% grade just fine, but they will probably only pull 1-3 cars doing it (depends on cars and weight of Shay). Of the 3 non-brass HO Shays I know of (Bachmann, Roundhouse, Keystone), the Keystone will have the most pulling power, and the Bachmann probably has the least. Your results may vary widely.

yours in gearing down
  3. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

My tboiler bachman On30 shay will haul 11 ounces up an 8 % grade. That's about 2 cars in On30 weight, which I ignore by the way. I use the NMRA's weight for HO for my cars. Anyhow, I loaded a gondola with pennies and then weighed it. That's how I know how much it can haul.
    I hope that helps :)