Last Try

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by pttom, Jan 25, 2004.

1. pttom

pttom Member

I have tried painting clouds for 3 days now. What am I doing wrong?

pix 1

Attached Files:

2. pttom

pttom Member

pix 2

Attached Files:

3. pttom

pttom Member

Attached Files:

4. CN1

CN1 Active Member

What are you doing wrong? Are you kidding?

If there's anything wrong with them it's that they're too much like the real thing:eek: :D :thumb:

Great stuff :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  5. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

They look great to me, are you using Gavin's method???
  6. pttom

pttom Member

Thanks CN1, Tyson. Thats who Val told me to try, but the clouds still just don't look right to me. Maybe I have them to large.
  7. csxengineer

csxengineer Member

my thoughts..

I like them. Maybe they are either too big or too low, but if sceniced just right, you'd have a masterpiece.
  8. CN1

CN1 Active Member

pttom. Go outside and take a good look.

Clouds come in all shape, size and colors.

There's no such thing as a "generic" cloud.

What you have is perfect. Don't sweat it.
  9. CN1

CN1 Active Member

10. CN1

CN1 Active Member

11. belg

belg Member

Tommy your talent at painting the clouds is definately not the thing in question because they are very realistic. I do agree with you that the scale does look a little large. I had mine painted by the Mrs. and her girlfriend and mine seem to start a bit smaller than yours and fade away in the top(distance) to bare wisps. But like others have said its your layout and if you like them that's what most important. Just MHO Pat
  12. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

I agree, those clouds look fine to me. Mark, the guy whose mountain I was working on, liked them too. (We saw it when we posted the other picture.) When you've to buildings and scenery coming up you may change your mind about not liking them. I think they are great.
  13. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Tom, I think your clouds look pretty good. To me the most realistic are the hazy ones. The stencil method, since it uses just white paint works best if you keep the clouds hazy. If you look at some of the pix posted, you'll see that sharp-edged clouds also have lots of internal shadows - they are not flat white.

If you do decide to try it one more time, make sure to spray light enough that some of your background blue shows through. Hold the stencil about a foot away from the background, and have more clouds close to the horizon and fewer and fewer as you get higher.

14. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Tommy,
    The painting of the clouds are excellent, I would ask just one thing and that is to make the corners rounded if possible not 90 degree square as you have it now. Very easy to do with some hardboard.
  15. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Whats wrong?
    You have some really nice looking clouds...I don't have any!
  16. shaywen

shaywen Member

I think the clouds looks terrific, and you could wait 'til you have scenery in front to make a final decision. Could somebody please describe or link to the method used to make them?
  17. belg

belg Member

18. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Tommy, for me the clouds look very natural. Perhaps it's the size of the clouds compared to the tracks which irritates you a bit.

But I am convinced that when you add a bit of a hilly landscape between the tracks and the background, the clouds in the sky will fit perfectly. We are accustomed to look at 'clouds and landscape' (not 'clouds and naked RR tracks') - and in nature clouds come in every size.

Congratulations for creating such nice clouds, you can be proud of them.

19. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

I just fired up my Paint Shop and added a bit of background just to try, how it could look like with some hills between the tracks and the sky.
    IMHO now the clouds just look perfect. Don't you think so? :thumb:

BTW - sorry that I covered up one of your tracks - I hope that I didn't bury a whole industry complex under plain rocks! :D :D :D

Attached Files:

20. pttom

pttom Member

Thanks Ron, I didn't know scenery would make such a difference.
    I'll have to get started on some just to easy my mind. Thanks everone for your replys.