Last Try

CN1

May 6, 2003
What are you doing wrong? Are you kidding?

If there's anything wrong with them it's that they're too much like the real thing:eek: :D :thumb:

Great stuff :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

CN1

May 6, 2003
pttom. Go outside and take a good look.

Clouds come in all shape, size and colors.

There's no such thing as a "generic" cloud.

What you have is perfect. Don't sweat it.
clouds.gif

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Tommy your talent at painting the clouds is definately not the thing in question because they are very realistic. I do agree with you that the scale does look a little large. I had mine painted by the Mrs. and her girlfriend and mine seem to start a bit smaller than yours and fade away in the top(distance) to bare wisps. But like others have said its your layout and if you like them that's what most important. Just MHO Pat

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
I agree, those clouds look fine to me. Mark, the guy whose mountain I was working on, liked them too. (We saw it when we posted the other picture.) When you've to buildings and scenery coming up you may change your mind about not liking them. I think they are great.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Tom, I think your clouds look pretty good. To me the most realistic are the hazy ones. The stencil method, since it uses just white paint works best if you keep the clouds hazy. If you look at some of the pix posted, you'll see that sharp-edged clouds also have lots of internal shadows - they are not flat white.

If you do decide to try it one more time, make sure to spray light enough that some of your background blue shows through. Hold the stencil about a foot away from the background, and have more clouds close to the horizon and fewer and fewer as you get higher.

Val

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Tommy,
The painting of the clouds are excellent, I would ask just one thing and that is to make the corners rounded if possible not 90 degree square as you have it now. Very easy to do with some hardboard.
Cheers
Shamus

shaywen

Dec 31, 2003
Visit site
I think the clouds looks terrific, and you could wait 'til you have scenery in front to make a final decision. Could somebody please describe or link to the method used to make them?

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Tommy, for me the clouds look very natural. Perhaps it's the size of the clouds compared to the tracks which irritates you a bit.

But I am convinced that when you add a bit of a hilly landscape between the tracks and the background, the clouds in the sky will fit perfectly. We are accustomed to look at 'clouds and landscape' (not 'clouds and naked RR tracks') - and in nature clouds come in every size.

Congratulations for creating such nice clouds, you can be proud of them.

Ron

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Tommy,

I just fired up my Paint Shop and added a bit of background just to try, how it could look like with some hills between the tracks and the sky.
IMHO now the clouds just look perfect. Don't you think so? :thumb:

BTW - sorry that I covered up one of your tracks - I hope that I didn't bury a whole industry complex under plain rocks! :D :D :D

Ron

Attachments

• clouds2.jpg
    clouds2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 57