Large scale ship competition!

Ron

Jan 12, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Hi guys :)

Roman Detnya of Digital Navy and Cardmodels.net are very pleased to announce the upcoming Large Scale Ship Competition! A forum will be set up and a gallery where entrants may post their competition images and their build progress reports. The reports aren't mandatory but we all kill to see these great ships being built. :) Here's the prize. The winner will become the proud owner of the *first* newly revised USS Arizona to be made public! Here's the catch.... The end of the competition will coincide with the completion of Roman's work on the model. This will give you guys about 4 months to get it together. The time frame is not etched in stone but it's going to be close!

We'll post the rules tomorrow evening for you.

All the best and happy sailing!

Ron

larrymax

Jan 17, 2004
Corona, CA
home.aaris.net
Oooo, Oooo! Does it have to be a DN ship?!!!! Does it count if the "Ship" just HAPPENS to have SAILS?.....and CANNONS.....and is already half built!!!!???? hehehe! Can Cleo Play!!!! Hey! I'll use any motivation I can get to get some more hours in on her!

Max
Captain and Still Lurking About
HMS Cleopatra
Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic

DN

Jun 12, 2004
New York
www.digitalnavy.com
Well, the rules are not cast in stone yet so here is my suggestion on the issue: any kind of ship and any manufacturer will do (as long as it is DN Arizona :twisted: - no, I'm joking :lol: ).
"Large scale" in the title points to something "big" - those of you working in scale 1:1200 will have to temporary switch to something bigger.
But seriously now - it would be interesting to hear your opinion on the rules - for example: "standard" (only paper, no painting, no extra scratch built parts etc.) or "open" (no restrictions).
So, what do you think :? :wink:

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Competition rules

If you are going to spend 4 months building a ship you would be happier building it as you wish, however with the experts round here I think their knowledge would allow them to look at the bare bones cardmodel as the main judging issue. Maybe you could say hand built accessories only or you could ask for a cost breakdown (over and above the original model) and take that into account. It would be interesting to know the costs of building models anyway.

You could make a points handicap and different classes of skill to encourage those with less experience.

I'm too dumb to modify anything anyway!

I'll join in, whatever the rules

That's just my 2p's worth.

barry

ps :twisted: of course if the designs a bust I shall blame the designer DN :lol:

cardfan

Jan 17, 2004
Alamo, CA
Just to add my comments to the fray, there are certain parts, on certain kits of course, that need to be made of wire or wood or some such thing.

Anchor chains, boat davits and antenna come to mind.

But I am rambling and should get back to the ship I need to finish.

Glen

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Really will depend on who's doing the judging...,

To have a building skills contest it should be limited to just one model or at best a very limited category. Beauty contests are always a subjective thing and depend mostly on who's doing the judging. Each and everyone of us has their own inbuilt biases and that's not going to change whether the experience is as the builder or as the judge. That's generally why there's so many categories in most contests so that the topic covered can be fully appreciated within a narrow definition. I think that every model builder knows inherently when a model has been executed by an outstanding builder and would like to acquire those skills...., I think this is at the core of contests, to recognize the best talent amongst us and to learn from their methods and techniques.

Selecting a class, scale, and period for the category of the contest is the first thing that needs to be done. A general theme such as a major naval battle which involved the subjects would add a touch of history requiring the model represent the subject as she was then.

Sailing ships against modern guided missile cruisers is probably not recommended. Sail against sail at say the Battle of Trafalgar with the upcoming 200th anniversary coming up next October would be very apropos.

DN is sponsoring the contest so being a realist I think that their models should be used unless another manufacturer wants to become involved widening the field of possibilities. Just a thought to think about.

That's my 2-bits worth...,

Best regards, Gil

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
A lot of great points, most of which I agree with, but let me just add my two cents.

It would be a difficult comparison, indeed, to compare two divergent styles of ship models, although I have confidence the judges (whomever they might be) would be able to make the necessary comparisons given a set list of criteria to be judged. By this I mean comparing the degree of skill in building an accurate hull (i.e., symmetry of lines, absence of apparent gaps and good fitting of parts), clean construction techniques (no visible glue marks, no apparent paper edges visible, crisp folds and tight joints), degree of difficulty in carrying out the subassemblies (again, symmetry, cleanliness and the "I can't believe it's paper" factor), symmetry of construction (masts in proper alignment and proportion, deck houses in proper shape and proportion) and execution of details without relying too heavily on premade detail sets, although some items to be made within the time provided might, depending on the model chosen, need some prefab, but that can be a factor taken into consideration by the judges. If one contestant uses photo etched parts whereas another makes it up from scratch, that is a factor to be considered, I would respectfully suggest. It is, after all, an area of skill that should be taken into consideration in the overall judging.

Similarly, dictating the use of paints or not, etc., should really be an open choice, but one that is noted by the judges in making their final evaluations.

As to the subject of the ship, well, that's the difficult one. Sure would be easiest to require a single ship model be used by all, but it might be impractical unless the model is easily made available to all who want to compete. If a model kit maker can be found who is willing to have enough kits available to the contestants, and every contestant is willing to be judged building a ship dictated by the judging committee, well then the problem is solved. I still think different types of model ships can be judged given a standard format of areas to be judged as noted above, but it certainly makes it easier for the judges if the same ship model is used by all; it just shouldn't be a kit that would be difficult for some potential contestants to acquire as a prerequisite to join in the fun. I don't think the manufacturer/designer need to give the kit away either, but, perhaps, a special offer to contest participants, or some other conveyance. Of course, the idea of the old DN Arizona kit being used comes to mind since with the release of the new version, as Roman said, he will be putting the old one "in ordinary" (meaning, laid up and out of commision).

I also think it would be invaluable if all contestants are encouraged to post their progress so all could enjoy the competition over the four month construction period. I doubt if it would require a lot of persuasion to have this group post their photos, since we are all either admitted or closet photo junkies. :lol: I assume a separate thread would be created for posting such photos and commentary. (Yeah, that's a "Duh!?!")

This is a superb idea and one that should be looked at as nothing more than a great deal of fun. I would like to learn a lot from the skilled modelers out there, and am selfishly looking forward to seeing their work in the contest to gain some great tips and insight in their modeling techniques. :lol:

I look forward to seeing what the eventual criteria will be for judging, the type or types of ship model(s) to be used, etc.

Well, there's my two cents...or is it more like a buck fifty? :D
Jim

gchucky

Feb 10, 2004
USA
Why not borrow something from Ice Skating, a Artistic score and a Technical score. Add the two for the final. Artistic will be the WOW factor, so ships with multimedia may score high on this. Technical may be on how much multimedia is used. Less multimedia, less deduction. This way a all paper ship can compete with a spare no cost museum model.

philippe

Feb 27, 2004
bretagne france
ship competition

back to card models...
ready for the chalenge!
with my poor english...
i have a kit "uss gambier bay" Halinski 1/200
very good design, a very big work, but a good project for a cold winter..
hello with all my correspondents whom I did not greet for a long time
philippe

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
competition

Hi Phillipe

good to see you back, should be a fun competition.

barry

ps where are the photos of the 1/400 stuff you were building ?

pps don't lets spend too much time agonising about the rules how about

1 build a ship( a big one ) with an engine without an engine big = 1/250 upwards
2 write it up
3 send a lot of photos
4 have a lot of fun
5 judges to make a completely subjective decision
6 judges should not be in to ship models preferably (I vote for Maria)

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

As long as its big 1/250 or bigger and it has no bought pre made parts. All parts should be off the kit or scratch built.

It would be hard to make the rules or how to judge it, what a task :lol:

I say go for it and have fun!!

Regards

Rob

Ron

Jan 12, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Hi guys

I posted the basic rules as I've seen discussed here and added a few of my own. As I mentioned in the sticky, they're up for revision pending the outcome of your discussions. This is getting interesting :)

Have fun guys!

Ron