Kato switchers?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Livesteam, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

does kato make any switchers in N scale?
  2. Secret Weapon

Secret Weapon Member

Kato doesn't make one,but Life-Likes is very good.It's even better if you change out the worm geaar. Replace the plastic for brass(Kato C-44-9 gears). :thumb:
  3. NORC

NORC New Member

I think that Nato made the drive for the old con-cor SW units.

I do not own one of the Con-Cor SW's but I would think that the LL SW is better.

PS do you have more info on changing the worm gear?

4. NORC

NORC New Member

OK so I can't type.

That sould say Kato not Nato.

5. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

Actually, they have a couple different Diesel Switchers....
    BUT the are Euro and Japanese in style. The Japanese ones are in a DD series (ones I've seen) the others are REAL small they have almost a Kenworth form 2 axles rear & 1 front.

There are several on-line dealers that have them: N Scale Supply and Brooklyn Locomotive Works are 2 I can think of. Haven't had a chance to check The Gauge Supporters.
  6. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

i saw in another thread that the life like switchers do not pull alot?
  7. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

I guess pulling power isin't a big issue with switchers that do mostly yard work and even if they are called on to do some mainline hauling, the loads are usually lighter.
  8. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

how much are they?
  9. 3railguy

3railguy Member

My first N scale engine was a Lifelike SW-8 switcher that came in a Yardmaster starter set. It is one of my favorite engines. It is smooth running, the graphics are crisp, and so are the details. I think they can be found for around $30. Mine will pull around 7 older cars or 11 newer free rolling cars on level track. The Jan/Feb issue of N Scale Railroading has an article on converting the wheelsets to NWSL. They can easily be converted to knuckle couplers.

If you want Kato quality, Atlas makes a Baldwin VO-1000 switcher.

Secret weapon, thanks for the tip on the worm gear
  10. Secret Weapon

Secret Weapon Member

No problem!!!!!
  11. brokemoto

brokemoto New Member

Atlas also sells a Baldwin VO-1000 switcher. It is the best running N scale switcher out there.

Arnold sold a metal body S-2. It was a good puller, but the drive is now dated.

Kato has some center-cab and slightly off-center cab switchers. They could be bashed into North-American appearing locomotives.
  12. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

yeah the baldwin is a neat looking switcher