1. Ladies & gentlemen, I would like to announce that there is a new photo gallery section. You can create your own personal photo gallery (to include setting up your own albums). You can even post videos. You can also post and share photos in the galleries of others (if that person allows such), as well . ENJOY!!!

Kapton tape

Discussion in 'DCC & Electronics' started by SR39, Jun 13, 2009.

1. SR39

SR39 Member

I am installing 163AO Digitrax decoders in my N scale SD 35's The decoder came with Kapton take on one end. Is that tape supposed to be left on the decoder after install? I am new at this as this is my first decoder install. Thanks for any info.
    Jim
  2. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

yes, it may be left in place if desired. this tape has a high insulation value and temperature resistance, it is to protect against short circuits caused by any conductive part of the loco or wiring touching the decoder.
  3. mfm37

mfm37 New Member

Use the kapton tape to insulate the areas that Digitrax recommends in the instructions included with the decoder. Save the extra for future installations because many manufacturers don't include it. I wrap my extras around a leftover plastic tape spool.