Just ta let ya know I'm doing something railroady

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Catt, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Catt

Catt Guest

This little critter is the end result of one good running sad looking basketcase Nscale LifeLike SW9/12.

[​IMG]

I've always liked boxcab style locomotives and decided it was time to build one. She isn't quite done yet I need to make end railings and paint her (blue&yellow of course) Letter her for the GVR and get rid of the rapidos.
  2. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

The Catt Locomotive Works comes up with another winner!
    Controls at both ends? MU connections? Bell and Headlights? Ah, a nice touch... a "T" chimney from a caboose?

Whatcha gonna call that little gem?

Hey, it's good to see you're back and enterprising again Catt!
    Just go easy when handling the oxycetelene torch during fabrication :)

Errol
  3. Catt

Catt Guest

Actually she'll get a stack from a junk GP35,but she also gets horns on both ends mu connections,headlights,ditchlites(GVR is a modern road).maybe even wipers.:)

By the way I replaced the image above with one closer to her actual size.
  4. RI541

RI541 Member

Catt,

Thats a neat looking buggy.

But not to change the subject but just how hard is it to install ditchlights on say a LL BL2 or SW9/12 or an Atlas U25B? I think ditch lights add so much but never tried to install any.
  5. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Love it Catt, now thats a good idea for a small logging buggie, Hmmmm.

[​IMG]
  6. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Catt there is one flaw with that loco, it's on your layout and not mine!!!!!:D :D :D :D That's one neat buggy, now can you do a center cab????
  7. Catt

Catt Guest

Tyson,I think that this mechanism would work for a center cab with some grinding on the frame.In stock form the frame is way too tall.If I can score another basket case I will find out.:D
  8. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Great to see you back in action, my friend, & with a neat little "scratch-bash" to boot! :cool:
    I agree with Shamus, that looks like some thing a logging co. would come up with, being as they have a reputation for some real inovative 1:1 "kitbashing"! :D
    Hows about starting a logging branch as a subsidiary of the GVR?
    Sorry, I've been doing a lot of daydreaming myself lately...might as well see if I can get you doing some too! :D :D :D
  9. Catt

Catt Guest

boxcab update

Hey guys here's a rather blurry update on the boxcab.She now has a coat of paint and couplers installed.

Next up will be snow plows(yes two she is double ended) the logo and a road number.Still waiting for the parts department to get the hand rails though :(

[​IMG]

Oh yeah,she still needs windows(tinted of course) and mu hoses not to mention headlites

The coupler you see is not what I am using they are way to long.
  10. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Wow CATT! I'll eat my words (gulp) :)
    What a transformation, and only with a dash of paint!
    That will look terrific plying the switching yard, that's a lovely looking workhorse.
    Will you have black stiping on the yellow ends eventually?

When you said it was a basket case, was it a rough runner or did it have a damaged superstructure?

Errol
  11. Catt

Catt Guest

Errol,it was in pieces,almost totally disasembled.I'm hoping the guy I got it from can come up with the end railings 'cause I ain't lookin forward to making them by hand.:(
  12. Catt

Catt Guest

Just to let ya know I'm still messin' with it :D

[​IMG]
  13. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Really, really neat, the only problem with it is it's on the wrong layout!:D :p :D
  14. RI541

RI541 Member

Catt,

looking real good, Is there a way you could get the end rails off another donor engine out of the junk box?

Hows 616 for a road number?

Now about those ditch lights I asked about earlier, are they hard to install on a BL2?
  15. Catt

Catt Guest

Ditchlites are best done with fibre-optics.There was a short article in Nscale magizine (Jan/Feb/02) by Jim Reising on using the f-o to do ditchlites.

I only have to duplicate it 24 times for my GVR fleet :( The headlites on this little fella will also be done with f-o.

One tip though,use the plastic kind cause the glass optics will break on you.
  16. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Catt, How's the 'little critter' box cab coming along? I need inspiration for N handrails. :) .

Errol
  17. Catt

Catt Guest

Errol,that little gal kinda got shoved aside for a little while.I've been puttering on the layout trying to show some progess with it.