Just spinning around "West Side Lumber CO. Layout"

Hello,

some month ago, I've started my first small layout, representing a piece of the West Side Lumber Co.

Today, I've spend some hours and created some extensions to this modular layout...

I was just blown away by this design and I think, I'll have a new lifetime job in modelrailroading :)

Let's start with the first level '1'. This level shows Tuolumne with the sawmill and all tracks and railroad-structures. The trains will leave the yard through the millgate, cross the street and run over some farm-landscape to the helix in the upper left.
15Layout_1.jpg

The helix will bring the trains to the secound level at +40cm. The train will leave the helix through the upper flume entrence at Friedenberg. The line will continue along the rivercanyon to scenes like Mustang and Big Rock Cut. The darkgrey colored modul will be a blackbox with tunnel, to illustrate the missing distance and elevation between this and the next scene. This is River Bridge with the siding, trestle and watchmans shack. After we've crossed the bridge, the train will run across the room back to the helix area and wind up to the next level.
15Layout_2.jpg

At level 3, the train will reach Camp 8 with the first reload. My layout is designed to represent the 1951 burn season, with reloads at Camp 8, 9 and Deadwood.The rest of the mainline was not served in this year. Leaving camp 8, we'll run through the next Warp-tunnel and will reach Deadwood. After turning the Shay on the wye, the loco will bring the logcars to the reload.
15Layout_3.jpg

At the moment, I've only Camp 8 in work, My first idea is, to finish level 3 first. But before I'll start this, I'll finish my fiddle and camp 8.

Gerd

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Gerd, that is a thing of beauty. I really like that track plan and what your doing. Question, on the second level, how long is the run across the room back to the helix? And how do you cross there?

Loren

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Gred, thanks for the answer. Being three decks, I thought it might be a walk under bridge.
I tried going to your website and I get 404: not found.

Loren