John Galt Line mikado # 2207

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Gary Pfeil, May 11, 2003.

1. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Thanks Shamus!
  2. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Tyson, Your thoughts on how many cars may be considered good got me to thinking. What was I comparing it to? Nothing, really, just what I wanted it to do. I know the steam that was available ready to run "in the old days" didn't pull worth a damn, which is why I don't have any. I have an MDC kit I built which pulls well, and I know bowser pulls very well. My other steam is brass, which when balanced (which is not difficult) pulls well also. But I had never fully tested my little Bachmann 2-8-0. So I staged a contest. I selected my freest rolling Lifelike cars, 12 of em, and both locos handled it. I added two, the Athearn slipped just a bit, but made it. Couldn't start from a stop on the hill tho. 2-8-0, no problem. Athearn couldn't do 16. Kept adding cars to the 2-8-0. Ran out of Lifelike cars, started using Athearn. Got to 34 cars, at this point the 2-8-0 could make the grade but could no longer start from a stop. 36 was all she could take without slipping. This was way more than I ever expected! 20 cars is what I would like my steam to handle. That Athearn unit properly weighted would walk away with 36 as well. That's why its a shame they didn't do their homework. Think I'll make 2-8-0's the standard wheel arraingement on the JGL!