It's Springtime!!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Drew1125, Apr 24, 2001.

1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

It's Springtime N scalers!
    Put on your sunglasses, come up out of the basement, & let us know what's going on!!
    Let's give Catt an excuse for earning that paycheck! [​IMG]
  2. Virginian

Virginian Member

Ok...what about N scale steam? I passed up a Bachman 4-8-4 back a couple of months ago at a reduced price 'cause it wasn't 'my 'Flag'(it was Sante Fe)...Now I know that was kinda dumb...I could have used it for a switcher or local freight engine on the VGN run of my planned layout.. Any body know anything about back dated issues of N scale steam locos. that I might be able to find used??
    VGN [​IMG]
  3. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Rivarossi used to make a number of steam locos and then Concor seemed to have a few.
    Trix produced a nice running pacific but all these have almost become collectors items. The hobby store I frequent has a couple of used switchers for sale so check your hobby store to see if they have any. I don't even see the one and only Kato steam loco in stores anymore. Hopefully there will be some demand for more N gauge steamers in the future. I am quite envious of all the HO steam locos available
  4. Wayne Underwood

Wayne Underwood New Member

You may not see them in the stores, but it is my understanding (from my local 'pusher') that Kato has a warehouse full of them.
  5. Steamnut

Steamnut New Member

I saw a lot of used and old stock N scale steam lokeys at the Greenburg and Gats shows that we worked at this winter. Some at very good prices, like the Atlas ATSF o-8-o I snagged for $45 or the Bachman Nickel Plate Northern and N&W tender I found at 2 different shows for $35 altogether. I tested both before purchase, and they run fairly well the Bachman performed much as I expected, although its a bit too long for my Atlas turntable.
    Another choice, distasteful to some, is the mail order houses, they will often have close out items at a fairly good price.
    The bargains are definitely out there, but quite often they are buried in the miscellaneous (s)crap box under the table.
  6. Steamnut

Steamnut New Member

Oops, I almost forgot, now that the weather is nice, I usually let the N stuff collect dust while I fiddle with Ga 1 (and even larger stuff)outside.