Info Needed....

C Bolick

Jul 24, 2005
I was wondering if anyone owns a F-3A that was made by Kato, could tell me if this locomotive is worth buying off eBay. Second just when was it made by Kato and is it possible to install a decoder in it. I'm sorta new to N scale so please bear with me on this.

Thanks,
Chris B

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
I actually just sold one on ebay. Nice little engine. I found that I had to make sure the track was nice and clean and had good power running through the track. I think because it's a little on the lite side and 4 wheel trucks, wheels it didn't make as good as contact as say a heavier SD70 or AC4400 engine does with their 6 wheel trucks. Now of course, this was probably just a particular issue with my layout (which is now dissambled, hence the ebay selling of the F3A).

Kato's production run on these units was November 2003 according to their site. They are DCC capable as well. Little bugger to get open, but I installed one with no problems.

And it looks GREAT with Kato's UP Streamline Passenger cars.

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
Easy peasy to install DCC, 1015 couplers fit onto it, the best running engine I've got by a country mile over all other non-Katos, slightly better runner than my other Katos. Worth every cent, whatever you pay for it.

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
Just for the record, are you bidding on the undecorated A/B pair? Don't want to step on anyone's toes...

C Bolick

Jul 24, 2005
No toe stepping here....

I haven't even seen the undec ones. Thanks for the info. Now I just hope for being the lucky bidder.

Thanks,
Chris B

Delamaize

Oct 14, 2004
Lacey, Wa.
I have both the new and old versions of the F-3/F-7's. the old (first run) are heavyer and have better traction, but are not "dcc ready" as in they do not have space allocated for the decoder. the newer ones are really smooth, and are DCC ready on top of that, but they sacrifice a little weight, but on the same note it makes them a little more prototypical to their true power. it takes a A-B-A set to pull my 11 car "Empire Builder" along at a good clip.

Overall, I would say go for it, but don't spend more than about $100-$120 for a A-B set. good luck!