Idaho Springs Mine (Campbell craftsman kit)

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Kurt, believe it or not, I remember you suggesting it, and I have even thought about it.....................once or twice.............ok, once:winker::gaptooth:.

I managed to get the lower cross-bracing cut and glued on. I then cut and glued together the upper truss sections. They aren't glued to the bents yet because I still have to drill some holes for wire support rods..........however, I put them up in place to see how they looked:

Picture177.jpg

I hope to get more done before the weekend.
Take care:wave:

GS4

World's Greatest Hobby
Jul 7, 2008
Steve, I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it again, that is a fantastic job that you are doing with that mine. Keep up the good work!!

Cheers, Simon

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Quick up-date:

I have drilled the holes for the support rods and have attached them (along with bolts/nuts/washers on the top and bottom).

Picture187cropped.jpg

I also made the small tunnel entrance.

Picture188.jpg

All that is left to do is add the small bent and few cross braces at the back end of the mine track.........some small weathering touches......that's pretty much it.

I hope to complete this over the week-end and I will take it outside for some pictures in good light:winker:

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Oh man.....!! What a beautiful structure....Those "nuts & bolts" come with the kit..?? They look great..!!! Can't wait to see her finished..!! :thumb:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Gus....yep the nuts and bolts come with the kit....

they are so tiny.......what ever you do, DON'T SNEEZE!:gaptooth:

I'll try and take some clearer shots this weekend:thumb:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thank you Scott:thumb::thumb::thumb:
I really appreciate the kind words.:winker:

I remember looking for a Mine kit and seeing this one. I just loved its character and I have to commend Campbell....they made a quality kit!
I'm glad that they did not go out of business a few years back like many feared they would. I hope they get their entire line back in production.....a new building or two, wouldn't hurt either:twisted::winker:.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Does anyone know, does Leo Campbell have any heirs who are interested in keeping the business going? Athearn and MDC both went to Horizon because neither of the founders had heirs who were interested in the model railroad business.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Thanks Wayne, so many of those early pioneers in ho scale have passed on and left no heirs who are interested in continuing the business. Even if Duncan Campbell is no relation to Leo, it is nice to see an individual take the reigns rather than have the company go into the hands of a big wholesale distributor who may or may not keep the kits in production.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Finally Done:thumb:

I added the last pieces of bracing, final weathering, and a sign...

I didn't have any name in mind, so I googled "coal Mine names". On one of the sites there were names of 50 real Mines and I picked the one that seemed to fit:winker:.

Picture264.jpg

Picture245.jpg

Picture244cropped.jpg

Picture240.jpg

Picture241.jpg

I have ordered some LP miners, a few mine cars and equipment.....I'll take a pic when it all arrives.

I had a lot of fun doing this kit, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who was interested in building one.:thumb:

Thanks for stopping by:thumb:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
SLAP OUTSTANDING JOB STEVE!!!:bravo:

Steve, my friend, i think its time i bestow on you the coveted Deano:worship: , and you know ONLY two others have gotten this:winki: , but you have earned it:thumb: ...honestly you earned it some time ago, but i couldn't let ya get a big head:winki::119::119: . WELL DONE my friend, WELL DONE:bravo: .

....WAIT....STOP THE TRAIN:eeki: ...i just realized something:eeki: , this is it?, this is it? NO, NO, this CANT BE IT!:cry: , surely there has to be ANOTHER PROJECT:twisted: , come on Steve, there HAS TO BE MORE....RIGHT?:confused:

("chanting") WE WANT ANOTHER PROJECT, WE WANT ANOTHER PROJECT, WE WANT ANOTHER PROJECT.......:mrgreen:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thank you guys!:thumb::thumb:

Gus....I really appreciate your support and encouragement on all my projects.....You are always telling others how good they are, but you are an awesome modeler in your own right:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Wayne...thank you very much. Your artistry and inspiration are what, so many of us here, use to motivate ourselves so that we keep trying to improve.

Deano...I will treasure the coveted "Deano"
mysmilie_44.gif
forever! Its going right up on my mantle:winker:.
I would like to thank you for all you have done for me since I started in this hobby and here on The Gauge. Not only are you "The Engine King"TM, and an excellent modeler.....you are a first-class human being and great friend, thank you for everything:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Future Projects....
I have three:
1) Start the new layout
2) Scratch build structures for the layout
3) re-paint and re-work my original Coal Mine that I bought "as-is" at a show (needs work, doesn't it?...LOL!

photos425.jpg

Which one I start first will be determined by how much time I have over the next month or so.........or what ever I dive into first:twisted:

Here is a "head-on" shot that I should have added

Picture266.jpg

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Tetters...Thank you!:thumb:

What's going on with your layout?....any pics?:twisted::winker: