i need switch help for my new layout

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by scoobyloven, Feb 10, 2002.

1. scoobyloven

scoobyloven Member

i got a layout i'm doing on 4 inch foam and i would like to make my switches work form under the layout but i can't find any that would be able to do it they are to short only 1 to 1 1/2 inches long and i need 4 inches or more i seen a layout done out of this at a show and it was 6x10 and it only took two pepole to move to hole thing all at once. and i live in an apartment so i went with the lighest way to build it and it looks good i'll post the pics when i get them scaned ... think you for all of your help....:confused:
  2. nmtexman

nmtexman Member

There are "under-the-table" switch machines available commercially. You can modify the actual throw bar to make it long enough to go through the foam and throw the switch. The only difficulty I see is mounting the switch machine onto the foam.

Bob
  3. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

4. scoobyloven

scoobyloven Member

thinks for the help i'll try it out but it would be alot of work i got about 35 switches to do... if their is other was that would save time it would be help full
  5. nmtexman

nmtexman Member

While attending our local GATS show this weekend, I noticed that one of our club members had solved the problem of mounting under-the-table switches on foam. He glued a strip of ¼ plywood to the bottom of the foam, mounted his engines on that and ran about a 4½ piece of wire through the foam from the engine to the switch.

Bob
  6. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hello scoobyloven
    If you are using Peco track & points(Turnouts) then the Peco PL10 motor fits on to the point, only have to cut a hole out of the foam the size of the motor.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]