i need switch help for my new layout

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
i got a layout i'm doing on 4 inch foam and i would like to make my switches work form under the layout but i can't find any that would be able to do it they are to short only 1 to 1 1/2 inches long and i need 4 inches or more i seen a layout done out of this at a show and it was 6x10 and it only took two pepole to move to hole thing all at once. and i live in an apartment so i went with the lighest way to build it and it looks good i'll post the pics when i get them scaned ... think you for all of your help....:confused:

nmtexman

Nov 8, 2001
Albuquerque NM
Visit site
There are "under-the-table" switch machines available commercially. You can modify the actual throw bar to make it long enough to go through the foam and throw the switch. The only difficulty I see is mounting the switch machine onto the foam.

Bob

nmtexman

Nov 8, 2001
Albuquerque NM
Visit site
While attending our local GATS show this weekend, I noticed that one of our club members had solved the problem of mounting under-the-table switches on foam. He glued a strip of ¼ plywood to the bottom of the foam, mounted his engines on that and ran about a 4½ piece of wire through the foam from the engine to the switch.

Bob

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hello scoobyloven
If you are using Peco track & points(Turnouts) then the Peco PL10 motor fits on to the point, only have to cut a hole out of the foam the size of the motor.
Shamus