I hear a diesel engine on my layout again!

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by interurban, Jan 17, 2005.

1. interurban

interurban Active Member

The sparks had a lot of work to finish, and as the sun sets
    this G N is heading home. :)

Attached Files:

2. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Chris, Great Photo's :thumb: :thumb:
  3. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Hi Chris...

How does that thing work? You say it uses some sort of combustion... ?!?! ;) :D

Don't know too much about the diesels, but I think that's an RS-1? Nice looking loco...

4. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hi Andrew, :p they go bing a bang a groan ;) then they shoot sparks from the wheels :D

That is my R S 1. and a nice looking R S 1 it is. :wave:
  5. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

OMG :eek: :eek: :eek: what have you done?
  6. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hi Fred, it`s o k mate, We allow a few strange things on the tracks.
  7. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Yes it is. I am for steamers all the way, but if I had to have a diesel, it would be an RS unit (well, a 1, 2, or 3, but not the -11 or -18... ;) ). Of course, I'd need another concession to my "era" and to my chosen road - CN did not have any RS-1's as far as I know.

8. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Nice pics Chris!
  9. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Neat pics Chris...of course you know those towns people are looking at the future, don't you? :) :) :)
  10. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Yikes, he's startin' to stray....next thing you know, out come the wire cutters, some listings in the "Buy, Sell or Trade" forum and ---blamo---SD70MACs, pig trains and 85' auto-racks rollin' thru town.(sigh :rolleyes: )art imitates life

Great shots, Chris :thumb:
  11. theBear

theBear Member

Yeah but, he has lots of "time" to go through to reach SD70MACs ...etc... a RS1 is a long ways from that [​IMG] .

I've got to get a RS unit for my roster as both of my primary roads used them.
  12. interurban

interurban Active Member

The wire will not be coming down folks :p
    When my knee gets stronger I will be building a brand new Traction line in my newly aquired space.
    There will be a independent track for the steam /diesels to make an apperance, the Station for all to use and the odd sidings for photo ops.
    I am looking forward to the next phase in my modeling years.

Got to take the old L/O down first ,,slowly and carfully so I can reuse a lot of the track and switches :wave:

Keep modeling and posting folks.

Attached Files:

13. jetrock

jetrock Member

It's fun to run little diesels on my city streets, although they do cry out for trolley wire--I just need to score some single-arm trolley poles for my mainline.
  14. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Don't think that's wize, matey, better mail her to me for disposal :D

Great pics as usual, babe!
  15. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Ahhh Chris, you always find a way to keep us guessing. Can't wait to see what your new layout will be like
  16. NYC-BKO

NYC-BKO Member

Ya have to have some sort of back up for power outages!!!:rolleyes:

Atleast it's the right type of diesel, Alco!:thumb:
  17. CN1

CN1 Active Member

A stupid question, if you don't mind :oops:
    Do the "juice" comes from the overhead, on your layout? :confused:

If so :thumb: how complicated is it to string live wires and to hook up a pantograph? :confused:

I am installing some "non-operational" caternary and I am toying with the idea of puting real "juice" to it but I got no idea how to :eek: ;)

thx :wave:
  18. CN1

CN1 Active Member

Nice pix and loco by the way :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  19. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hi C N 1. yes juice from the overhead.

First I installed a center on/off switch then ran the power to the center terminals.

Then wire one side for overhead and the other side for two rail.

ie + and - to the two rails on one sde of the center off switch .
    Then + to the pole and - to one rail. make sure the + = + on one side.

The trick is to have the insulated wheels on the interurban on the side you dont want to pick up power .
    Then you can run both at a flick of a switch so to speak.
    I have no continuity problem to worry about. so it worked for me. :thumb:

btw if running overhead all the time then it`s + to the pole and - to both rails making sure you CHANGE the wheel insulated set to opposite sides so you can pick up - from all wheels.
    Of course you have to open the unit up and rewire for overhead i e one pickup to all wheels other to overhead.
    Simple eh :p :wave:
  20. jetrock

jetrock Member

Or you could install a DPDT switch into the interurban body--that would mean four different power modes, potentially quite confusing!