How to solder wires to track (3 hands?)

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
I only have 2 hands, how do i hold the iron, solder and wire in place?
(Id rather do it alone, dont want my parents to screw me up lol...)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Practice, practice, practice are three ways.

But just a hint, try putting solder on the track and "tinning" the end of the wire first by putting solder on it. Now if you hold the wire to the solder on the track and heat the joint, you normally won't need any more solder.

Another trick is to pick up some solder on the tip of the iron, you can get a small drop of it that way, then hold the wire and iron to the track and the solder will flow off the iron.

If you're having problems with either of these techniques, just remember my first thought, practice, practice, practice...:)

radar

Jan 14, 2007
wichita , KS
If your soldering track feeders use an alligator clip you can pick them up at radio shack .take the plastic insulation off the clip before using.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
As ezdays said it will take some practice. I find that solid core wire rather than stranded works best. The solid core wire can be bent, "L" shaped to fit in along the outside of your rail. Offset the "L" slightly and it will lay in position, or you can hold it in place with a small wooden probe. As ezdays mentioned, it is important to pre-tin your lead end with solder Add a little flux to the rail, pick up a little solder on the tip of your iron and the solder should flow nicely along the area where you added the flux. An old trick I learned was that little wads of wet tissue make great heat sinks. Wet several balls of tissue, about a half inch in size, moist but not dripping with water and mush them down over the track about three quarters of an inch on both sides of the area you are about to solder. Don't forget to clean your solder joint of flux with a little alchol. A good solder joint will be bright and shiney not dull and crazed. Good luck.

drakus

Jan 11, 2007
NW Indiana
www.dragonzlair.net
Put solder on the track. Then get your wire and reheat the solder then your done. Or, if you are like me, Hold the solder and wire in wone hand and iron in the other. Also make sure that you have a small vice to hold everything still..

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
Ive heard most of this already, thanks to everyone who actually answered my question, thanks :)

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
WHy don't you solder the feeder wire to the bottom of a rail joiner and then use it to solder the rails together? The rails willhold the joioner and feeder wire in place while you hold the solder in one hand and the soldering iron in the other.
Doc