How to add windows?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I have a few Grandt line windows and doors that I would like to add "glass" to. However, I want to detail the interior and make the roof removable.

What do you recommend so I don't end up with the edges of the "glass" showing? i.e. I don't just want to glue a square of plastic to the wall.

Thanks!

Andrew

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Andrew, If you have the "Patience of Job":D you can cut clear acetate to fit the inside dimensions of the upper and lower shashes of the Grandt Line windows. A very minute amount of a clear drying glue in each corner will hold them in place.

Down and Dirty Method:eek: ... Both MicroScale and Micromark make a "liquid glass" material. Using a tooth pick you fill in each glass pane and when it dries its clear and simulates glass...Don't use too much...keep it as thin as possible or it may dry cloudy. If you can't find these products go to a craft store and get some SOBO Glue. It works just as well.

Wanna Tourture Yourself Method:eek: :( ... This is for those who wish to really beat themselves up:D :p Obtain a box of large microscope glass slide covers. They are real glass about half the thickness of a piece of paper. Using a diamond or carbide tipped scriber, scribe and break the glass to fit the inside dimensions of the upper and lower sashes and fasten them in with a minute amount of SOBO glue in the corners. Be sure to clean the glass with a Q-Tip and alcohol before you install it and then only handle it by the edges so you don't have fingerprints on it. I only did this once but the results were incredible.:)

Attachments

• mvc-001f.jpg
    mvc-001f.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 177

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Testors also has a glue made for windows that you are supposed to be able to create windows with. Never had any luck myself. Maybe I need to try the toothpick; I just used the brush in cap. It works good for gluing windows in place tho. Walmart.

Vic, something tells me you've done lots and lots of micoscope slide cover glass windows!

:D :D :D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

A friend at work also suggested sandwiching the window glass between two identical doors or window frames, and then installing it. Might save the "exacting" work of cutting it perfectly.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Andrew

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Andrew, when I need to have windows that look as realistic from inside the building as outside, I generally do what Robin has suggested.

I cut the "glass" to fit within the outside dimensions of the window and then with thin stripwood or styrene create an inside frame around the perimeter of the window. No need to do the mullions - just the outside. Do this before you glue the window in place.

An even easier method is to print curtains on your inkjet printer - one normal, one flipped so it's a mirror image of the first. Glue them together so you have double-sided curtains and then glue them to the inside of the window hiding the frame entirely.

Hope this helps.
Val