How long have you been modeling?

Would you be interested in a Operation Forum?

• Yes, by all means!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

• No!!!!!!!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I've been model railroading since about 1957, but started out building ship models for a few years before getting into trains.
I got my first real "mentoring" from a good friend, Ed Ruszczyk, in Brunswick Me. in 1968. Learned a lot from him, and have been gettin' better ever since. I should also give credit to Roger Belanger, also from Me., His work in the Bath Marine Museum, provided inspiration.
Pete

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Bought an HO set for the baby back in the 60's but didn't do "modeling" until an Air Force school assignment in Biloxi, MS. Joined an N scale club at a hobby shop and helped with their railroad project. I tried to build a layout fashioned after one in MR at the time and did ok. I put the stuff in boxes following that assignment in 1972 and just got them out to work on my new layout in June of this past year. So as far as experience I guess I am a 2-5 year range but I have been "armchair" forever.

H

horailfan

I started when I was about six-seven with a wind-up train. Caution,these can be very dangerous! Ask my brother. Jerry

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi:
My Dad got me into modeling when i was 6 or 7. So I was building anything plastic you could buy in a kit. Cars, planes, tanks, soldiers, ships, subs, you name it. Topped out by building the U.S.S. Kearsarge with full rigging. Got my American Flyer set for Christmas when i was 7. Ran it constantly until i was about 10 when i started building U-Control airplanes. Put away the flyer about the same time and got into HO. Had a neighbor who modeled in it and an Uncle who had a layout to die for. Truly inspirational, kinda like some of you guys.

Got into radio control planes next and stayed in that until i discovered girls. Gave up all hobbies except girls and cars at that point. Oh, occasionally i did a little hiking just to try and air out the head

I got the Flyer out of the box for Christmas ‘94 when all of my family got together at our home. Thought it would be fun for everyone to see it running again and my two kids had no idea that Dad ever had a hobby other than fixing the house and any $0.50 toy of theirs that broke. Well, everyone, including me, enjoyed the trains so they’ve been a part of Christmas any year when we’re not traveling the whole holiday. Then, in June of 2000, I went to a GATS show here in town.

As luck would have it, the Atlantic Coast S-Gaugers were there with a modular layout. I had no idea people actually ran their Flyer, except me! (From the prices people were paying on E-Bay I figured folks must treat them like gold!) Turned out to be a great bunch of guys, a club with only one rule, “No Rules” (and no dues), and I was hooked. I’ve built 6 modules, four 48-inchers and two 60-inchers. I doubled the number of turnouts on their modular layout with mine and built the first CAB controlled section of the layout (thanks to Shamus’ wonderful article in the Archives and some good advice and encouragement from members of the club). Don’t have a good place for a permanent layout at this house. My modules are currently set up in the garage so I can add some roads and update some wiring before the next show. Oh, and so I can run trains while I’m “working” on them. So being in the club gives me a chance to run trains 4-6 times a year. Great fun!

So I guess, if you subtract the 24 years due to girls and kids, I’ve been actively modeling 18 years. We won’t count the 22 years of going to school and then working as an architect. Those models are for WORK! And in my house, trains are not work.

Regard “S”,
Ted

Edavillenut

Aug 4, 2002
pepperell, ma
www.lighthousehobbies.com
i got my first set of trains when i was 3 for christmas. i am now 16 and have been modeling for 13 years. in the last 4 years i have really got in to it. my problem is i keep buying locomotives so i have to keep adding on to my layout and i have taken over half of my attic and this winter its going to get even bigger

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Started modeling at age 9, but was fascinated well before that, see below. Took off many years for girls, then just partying, then family, but got started back around age 28, now 50. And only five years away (?) from completion of "dream" layout, at least to the point where I can spend time on detailed models rather than just building the layout and operating.

Attachments

• p1010127.jpg
    p1010127.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 33

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
been into trains as long as I can remember my dad use to set up a trains at christmas and then me for while me and my brother had a couple of HO layouts in moms basement for a time been back almost year a switch to n-scale and me and the wife got a christmas thing going I buy her a doll or bear and she buys me a train :D :D :D :D rich

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
I can't help it!!!

Having "doctored up" the "Pete and Tyson" photo you guys should have learned to never post an old B&W photo when I'm hanging around!!!:D :D :D :D :p

Attachments

• boytrain.jpg
    boytrain.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 31