How do you hide a rear access opening ?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
A lot depends on how high your benchwork is. Basically, the higher the benchwork, the less high a view block needs to be. If your benchwork is high enough a small hill in front of the hatch is enough to hide it. A step stool under the hatch will get you high enough to work in the area when you need to use the access hatch. If the hatch is in a city, a tall building or block of tall buildings will hide it.

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
I'm a little confused but I assume you're talking about an access door to the other side of a layout board (for detailing, scenery purposes etc.)?

If that's the case, do you intend to use this rear access again in the future? If you don't you could always just hide it behind a backscene board. If you want to be able to use it in future, and provided it's not too big, you could use a large industrial structure like silos or similar.

Tim K

Dec 30, 2005
Stoney Creek On. Canada
Actually the access is an opening in the midle of the layout , it is just a hole that I use to access the back of the layout .

Without it you would never be able to get to the back of the layout.

Tim K

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Tim K said:
Actually the access is an opening in the midle of the layout , it is just a hole that I use to access the back of the layout .

Without it you would never be able to get to the back of the layout.

Tim K

Oh I see. In that case then have a piece of plywood board cut to fit the hole, then support it from underneath with removeable supports. Put buildings on top, and hide the seam under something.

Tim K

Dec 30, 2005
Stoney Creek On. Canada
I had prety much the same thought I have made an insert from the foam I cut out and glued a thin bord to the back of it for support.

I had planned to put the Auto plant on it and was just curious as to what others have tried.

Tim K