Hot Rodding??

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by cidchase, Apr 19, 2003.

1. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi all,
    I've been searching without much success for a picture of the brake rodding and airline layout for the underframe of a truss-rod type car. It's an old Westerfield pickle car kit with Cal-Scale Westinghouse KC brake equipment, and the instruction sheet is somewhat vague on the details. Anybody have an idea?
    Thanx :) :)
  2. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Cid, Other than the fact that the KC system was banned from use in 1953 this is all that I could find.

Attached Files:

• 290.jpg
      File size:
      37.6 KB
  3. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi Vic,
    That's similar to the dwg on the instruction sheet but definitely shows the main airline tucked right up to the underside of the floor, which was one of my main questions!
    Thanks very much!:D :D
  4. BillD53A

BillD53A Member

5. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Thank you, Bill,
    I'm saving that photo for reference, excellent pic!:) :)
  6. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Ok Vic - for us people that weren't around in '53, Why for was it banned??? :D :D :D

Thanks (as always) in advance....... :)
  7. Vic

Vic Active Member

Sorta Stumped ???

Hi Mikey....In 1953 I was but a wee 8 year old:D :D :D

But...this one has kinda got me stumped:eek: :confused: It appears that the Westinghouse AB system was required on all new cars built as of 1941. The FRC (Federal Railway/Railroad Commission????) issued an order effective August 1953 that cars with the KC system were banned from interchange service.

Now just why I haven't been able to deterimine.:confused: From what I have read so far the AB system was vastly superior and much more reliable but beyond that I have yet to determine the exact reason for the ban.

All of my model narrow gauge cars (D&RGW) seem to have the KC system but then again they were not used in interchange service and even though the D&RGW NG lasted well into the 60's.

Probably the answer is buried in some governmental/railroad/Westinghouse archives somewhere but I'm gonna save this one for a rainy day LOL!!!!
  8. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Thanks!! I'll be on the lookout for an answer for both of us! LOL
  9. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

This is a guess, but I'd assume the KC system was banned from interchange service because it wasn't completely compatible with the AB system.