Horseshoe curve

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Illus, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Illus

Illus Member

2. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

3. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

It sure is. There are about 40-60 trains aday that pass around the curve. It sure is a site to see & visit.
  4. railohio

railohio Active Member

Depends on what you want to do and see. If you're looking for a safe place to enjoy trains with your family it can't be beat. If you're looking to spend a weekend hunting trains with your friends there are far better places to go.
  5. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

I would say it's well worth going to, if you are in the area and have a couple of hours to spare. A lot would depend on how far you have to go to get there. For example, I have been there at least twice, and would go again if the opportunity arose. I am a couple of hundred or more miles away, and would only do it in conjunction with something else. I don't think it's worth making a special trip, unless you're within 20-30 miles.
  6. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

My wife is originally from Erie, PA. How far is it from there?
  7. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

8. viperman

viperman Active Member

Anyone have any pics of the curve?
  9. railohio

railohio Active Member

Tons of them online.
  10. viperman

viperman Active Member

Yeah, just thought it would help to have a pic or two here for more people to look at, not just for me
  11. dr.5euss

dr.5euss Member

Looks awesome from the photos on the web!

Thanks for posting :D
  12. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Altoona is on I99 about midway between State College and the turnpike. I've only been once. The route through Alttona is not well signed; you may need to ask.
    There's also the Railroaders Memorial museum, and I think that the other end around Gallitzin is also worth a look.
    We're usually on a marathon drive when we go by, so we don't have much time.
  13. Illus

Illus Member

Thats great! I have it on 2X and it's been on my computer all day! Thanks!

I think we may swing by there as a side stop on our trip this summer... It's too far just to go to see that. Thanks for the replies.
  14. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Attached Files: