HOn3 vs. HOn30; who's best???

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by jon-monon, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Errol, Obviously you got "bitten" by the HON3 bug some time ago:D It usually does not take so long for the "fever" to develop but it appears to "Dr. Vic" that you now have a full blown case of "narrow gaugeitis" for which there is no cure:D :D :D The only way to releive your "suffering" is to start an HON3 layout.:D As the symptoms re-occur further "relief" can be obtained by acquiring more HON3 equiptment:D :D :D
  2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Ron, that's close to what I have in mind: I picture a dogbone main layout with fairly large loops at both ends, through and or around mountains, with HOn3 on one end and HOn30 on the other. I have about 6ft X 24ft to work with. I can add or subtract a couple of feet from the 6 here and there, so I will probably try to keep the radii close to 3 ft on the main line. I don't know if they will actually interchange, but the dual gauge track is interesting :rolleyes:

Dr. Vic, I don't feel so well. Everytime I think about NG I feel them swirlies in me belly. And I can't concentrate. I keep seeing the close encounters mountain, but it's got rails! Wifey smacked me when I started drawing tracks in the smashid spuds at the eatery. I think Ron's getting sick too. I cun tell, he's startin' to think like me'ins with the multi gauge layout and all. What kin I do? :confused:

3. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

"narrow gaugeitis"

I got the fever!
  4. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Narrow Gaugeitis...

Do not despair, sir. With work, one can learn to live with this. As mentioned, occaisional (okay...regular) "fixes" are needed, but with proper lifestyle management (quality train-room time?), there's no reason you can't lead a full and productive life.:p

....Just be sure to post pictures!:D
  5. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

I got roped into On30, and dabbled in N, and I'm perfectly insane. Join the club.
    Pete (at the Nantahala Midland)
  6. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

I just found medication for NarrowGauge itis, it limits the degree of insanity to a fair extent. Ya gotta build something!!

While in a state of insanity I started on my 18 yr old D&RGW passenger car kit by E&B Valley Railroad Co. 7 hrs later, (and a slight degree of crosseyedness from having to drill out turnbuckles) it is 80% complete and looks so good I think I'm calm enough now to make progress on other HOn3 stuff.
    I'm a long way from reaching Pete's (aka Sumpter) standards but I'll get there (with the help of a wee drop of the embalming fluid).
    Pics will be forthcoming.

Catt, I'm now aboard the band wagon.
    Vic, I'm getting up courage to convert the MDC cars.
    Jon, thank you for this thread, I owe you one sir ! :)

7. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Glad I could help stir the coals, but it was probably the answers from the experts that got the fire going again :)

I just got back from the hobby shop, and saw an HO industrial switcher for a fair price. I think I'll go back for it in a bit for the planned "Standard HO but looks NG-like" part of the layout (short and stocky). :D :D :D

8. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Errol, How's the HOn3 layout going :D :D :D ??? I was just going back through all the answers here trying to make some purchasing decisions and saw this and thot I should check on your *fever* :D :D :D
  9. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Go to "photography,scenery, books, and video", page 9, the thread is "yard work" posted by Tyson Rayles, 3-11-2002, 07:01 PM, Kettlestack posted a photo of his HOn3 outside frame 2-8-0. Check it out.
  10. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Here's a pic of one or two items of my HOn3 stuff on My small diorama. The loco is the MDC inside frame one that Pete has just mentioned. All my stuff was bought several years ago when prices seemed reasonable and I stored it all waiting for my retirement. I simply don't have space for a layout unless I tear down my HO pike so the concept of doing that is driving me quite out of my mind! :)( , no I'm not joking. I'm a RR nut and have so much of N, HOn3, HO and even G gauge). Maybe I should just become an armchair modeller?? .. :D :D

Ha Ha Ha Tyson!! So you think you're insane??? Come over here and witness a real RR basket case!:D :D

Attached Files:

11. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Errol if space is a problem then N-Scale is the only way to go! :D :D :D
  12. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Tyson!!!!! You're rotten to me!!! :D :D

I was determined to go with HOn3 just recently, and here you're trying to get me to go "N" ...... I need counselling now!:D

(I think I need a drink .. :) )

13. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

That's pretty sweet Errol, I went back and looked at the "studio" photo, too.

Now as far as room for the HOn3, why not let it live on the same layout as the HO you have?:D :D :D
  14. sumpter250

That's an even nicer shot of your bridge than you posted in the "bridges" photo contest.
    Re "armchair modeler", when you get that model armchair done, post a picture!:D :D :D :D :D
    Re HO layout, don't tear it down, "dual gauge" it, or maybe just part of it.
  15. Mike R

Mike R Member

If you're looking at commercial dual gauge HO-HOn3 track, be prepared to take a deep breath, hold on to your chest, and wave goodbye to a great deal of $.
    You may also find you wait a long time to get it, as there's so little demand, even the distributors don't have it. Most dual gaugers handlay their track, in every scale.
    regards / Mike
  16. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

You're right Mike, dual gauge Shinohara track costs an arm and a leg. 5 yrs ago I bought a 1yd length of it just to put in a display cabinet. All the rest of my HOn3 track is Shinohara. I have 13 turnouts and only 7 yds of track, that's why I'll settle for dioramas in HOn3. As for dual gauging my HO pike, that is out of the question as all the HO turnouts are Atlas code 80, electric and there's no way I'm going to hash those !!! :) :) . I did notice on a visit to Denver last October that Caboose Hobbies has a good selection of Shinohara HOn3 track (Just thought I'd mention it) which seems to be distributed by Lambert Associates.

Jon, my Ho pike is a narrow "L" switching layout with no room for adjacent HOn3...... It's typical of my lack of forward thinking ... :( .

Tyson, I still have a space 30" x 6' 6" that will probably finish up holding an "N" layout ... but once again the house power outlets and lighting are all in the wrong place. It will come to reality but not in a hurry. But your layout photos inspir me and keep nagging at me to make a start.

Pete, is there any particular fabric you would like the armchair finished in??? :) :)

17. sumpter250

An arm and a leg for dual gauge track!!! When did it get that cheap!!!:D :D :D
    " Fine Corinthian Leather":D :D :D
  18. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Although I'm independantly wealthy, don't have to work, and can buy any kind of track that's available, well, OK, I'm dirt poor. Anyway, partly because of hte expense, and partly because of the lack of HO/HOn30 dual gauge and partly because I don't really see the point of dual gauge track, (except it's cool), I am planning to have two gauges on one layout, but little or no dual gauge track. They will be on seperate levels. After I found out HOe and HOn30 are the same, I found some really kewl hoe track. And I thot a hoe was something you slap around! Anyways, I posted my thot's on paper on the track forum. I would like to know what you experts think about it. Be gentle, it's my first attempt at laying out a large (to me) layout, two levels, two scales. I am a long ways from starting and it will all change by then. :D :D :D Cheers, mates