homosote boards

rws

Nov 26, 2006
hi, just got back into hobby after many years. i built a table with homosote over plywood. my question is, should i seal this with type of paint or similiar covering, and also if i cut out grooves for canals, is there a method of sealing the rough edges of the board. thanks. Rob

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi and welcome to The Gauge. A lot of us who use homosote believe it is good to paint the board to make it less susceptible to warping and swelling in humidity changes.
Regards,
Ralph

fseva

Nov 27, 2006
Micore - a better choice...

rws said:
i built a table with homosote over plywood. my question is, should i seal this with type of paint or similiar covering, and also if i cut out grooves for canals, is there a method of sealing the rough edges of the board.
:cry:It's too bad you didn't use Micore instead of homasote - it's designed to be impervious to moisture penetration.

:thumb: Regardless, you can use any household latex paint to seal the homasote, but it would be wise to apply only a thin layer to allow quick drying and less moisture penetration. Also, use a color that you can also used as your first coat on your scenery base. In other words, a "soil-like" color. The wet paint can then be used to hold a first layer of ground cover.

Old_Bob

Nov 4, 2006
Eagle, CO
Thanks, Frank. I'm a contractor but I have never seen that before; looks interesting! Unfortunately no local distributers.