Holiday Festival of Trains

Old_Bob

Nov 4, 2006
Eagle, CO
For those in SoCA, there is a special train exhibit at the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda, CA featuring many displays in all popular gauges. Includes the live steam engine from Walt Disney's backyard layout and many rare train toys. Started yesterday and continuing through 1/7/07. Go to www.nixonfoundation.org for all the details.

I haven't been to see it but plan to go next weekend.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Thanks for posting the link. We are planning on being in that area next week and this would make a neat side trip.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Well, I tried like the dickens to make this show but couldn't seem to get over there. We were in Anaheim all this last week and everytime I tried to cut our day off short to make the museum, something came up. This morning was my last chance and by then, I was too tired and just wanted to burn for the barn. Thanks for the link... I tried. :cry: Did you ever make it? If so, how was it?

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Hey, thanks Bob for the tip---My wife's sister lives in San Clemente and we will be out there over the Xmas/ new years week. It's about an hours drive from there to Yorba Linda and I had planned on making it a" see whatever I could having to do with trains week" while I had the chance. Some really great model train stores in the LA area and I had planned on getting down to San Diego's Balboa Park to check out the fantastic HO layout they have in the museum there. If I get the chance to go to both, I will try to get some photos for the forum. ------JR

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
jr switch said:
Hey, thanks Bob for the tip---My wife's sister lives in San Clemente and we will be out there over the Xmas/ new years week. It's about an hours drive from there to Yorba Linda and I had planned on making it a" see whatever I could having to do with trains week" while I had the chance. Some really great model train stores in the LA area and I had planned on getting down to San Diego's Balboa Park to check out the fantastic HO layout they have in the museum there. If I get the chance to go to both, I will try to get some photos for the forum. ------JR

FYI, there are a bunch of museums in Balboa Park, each with a separate admission, and all within walking distance of each other. If your family is interrested in seeing something besides the Model Railroad Museum while you are there, you can buy a book of tickets for all of the museums at the Science & Industry Museum for between $10.00-$15.00 that will give you admission to most all of the museums. When you total the cost of going to museums at $3.00-$5.00 each, the ticket book is a real bargain. The last time I was there was probably 10 years ago, so th price may have increased since I was down that way.

Old_Bob

Nov 4, 2006
Eagle, CO
I was planning to see the Nixon museum exhibit last Sunday afternoon but the ticket line was wound around the lobby and not moving. Figured it would be an hour minimum of waiting. So I left, and haven't made it back there as yet.

Old_Bob

Nov 4, 2006
Eagle, CO
Finally got there to see the exhibit this afternoon, and no wait at all to get in. I was a bit disappointed because the emphasis seemed to be on "O" scale and on old-time toy trains. They had it set up as a tall mound with oval tracks in steps up the side. I think there were a couple HO ovals at the top but it was so far up that I couldn't tell for sure.

BUT my wife thought it was nice, and that was important. I haven't told her yet that I want a layout in the basement of our new home. Bit of soft-sell today.

The Disney family loaned one of his live steam trains as a static display, one he built himself with a friend. That was impressive!