Hobby Lobby Closeouts

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, you mighty look for these trucks on closeout. Not the best, but the cab and bed are pretty good and metal. Paint the chrome plastic frame grunge and a little weatherin' and they should look swell. $2.50 ea. they also have MP buildin's at half price.

Strange place. Everytime I go there, there's a buncha women, a few beat down, battered husbands, and one model railroader buying all the 1/32" thick cheap basswood. :D :D :D

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 199

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Jon,
I'll have to check them out, there's a Hobby Lobby right around the corner.
Strange place. Everytime I go there, there's a buncha women, a few beat down, battered husbands, and one model railroader buying all the 1/32" thick cheap basswood.
By the way,,, what are you going to do with all that basswood? :D :D :D
Pete

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by sumpter250
J

By the way,,, what are you going to do with all that basswood? :D :D :D
Pete

Pete....you know darn well what he's gonna do with it.....He's gonna build a bass!!!:D :D :D :D

Idea For Jon....Carefully cut out and then glued to a wood or styrene frame....wouldn't those pictures of gas pumps on the boxes make some neat gas pumps for a general store???

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
No vic, if you make yer bass outa basswood, you get splinters in yer lips!

I have my LPBs cut it into strip wood, for about 10% of the cost of LHS stripwood. Not as perfect, but that's not a drawback with my type of modeling. Shamus has used some of my wood in recent structures. He "snads" it before use; I don't.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
You know they say as long as the first and last letters in a word are in the right place the rest of the letters can be mixed up but we still recognize the word. How aobut the Gugae as an emxpale.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
destressing wood

Hey guys the posts here reminded me that I've been meaning to ask how basswood or any other wood for that matter is destressed to look really old and weather beaten? I assume it's got to be some kind of wire brush to remove the bulk of the fibers?

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I drag a razor saw sideways along the length of the strip wood, lightly sand it to remove the fuzz, then stain it. Burnishing it with a suede brush is good for lighter distressing. Once the item is assembled, I touch up the stain and dry brush white or Floquil's SP Lettering Grey. My stain is the diluted dregs of a brush cleaning jar. The color combinations combined with the metallic bits from silver and gold paints looks like well weathered wood and even granite when used for stonework.

Thanks for the heads up, Jon. I have one near my place.