HO scale cars & stuff

Discussion in 'Railroading' started by thaddeusthudpucker, Nov 21, 2007.

1. thaddeusthudpucker

thaddeusthudpucker New Member

I am going to start doing some card-modeling, not only because it seems like a really cool thing to do at 3 in the morning when i get tired of playing Railroad Tycoon 3, but because the basic premise of it sounds like I can do it on the cheap.

So: I am thinking I want to build stuff in HO scale, since I already have HO scale stuff. And it is a good size when you live in about 96 square feet. What I am most interested in building is train cars, freight and passenger. My media will probably be Manila file folder. I have built a couple truss bridges out of the stuff (and just might do another). i will probably build the carbody out of manila and use pennies (they're cheap :p ) and buy a set of truck and couplers for each car. Unless I figure out an ingenious way otherwise of course...

The point: Anybody have any suggestions as to where to start for some patterns? (I prefer North American-type stuff :p )

What computer software is there that I can design my own stuff?

Any pointers, suggestions, slaps in the face with a tuna are appreciated!!
  2. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Welcome to the fold, as we say. You're right, it's not very expensive, but can be additive! :) Here's a link to some very nice HO scale houses.

Search Google for card models and paper models and you'll find enough to keep you busy for a long, long time.
  3. sakrison

sakrison Member

Model railroad magazines offer scale drawings of freight and pax cars for scratchbuilders. You could scan those, color them in Photoshop, and turn them into kits--for your own use. Copying or scanning and distributing them is verboten.

4. RichBohlman

RichBohlman Railroad Card Modaler

5. PhaseIIIGenesis

PhaseIIIGenesis New Member

Yeah, the scalescenes' products are nice, easy to build and very realistic.
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Model railroader used to print articles on building "dollar cars" -- you could buy everything for a dollar. But then MR only cost 50 cents. (1950s). I think there's a book collection of the articles.
    You can often find old magazines at train shows or sometimes in hobby shops. The plans are still good, but the price is a lot less.