Hey Virginian

MikeC

Jul 12, 2001
Columbus Ohio USA
Visit site
Nice to see theres someone else here that models N&W / Virginian. I model N&W set in the late 40s early 50s steam only, no DIEsels!! How do you like those Y3s from Lifelike? Its hard waiting for Bachman to get the Spectrim J out too ,isnt it? My current layput is an arround the walls DCC layout in a 12 x 13 foot basement room. Curently single tracked, but considering going to double track with a long mine spur. Is there anyone else here that does N&W ?..........Mike
SPcabforwardr.gif

[This message has been edited by MikeC (edited 07-13-2001).]

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hi Mike!
Good to see your message. Welcome to the Gauge
I do have a Proto 2K Mallet...VGN 737...joined my local HO club so I could buy it!!!LOL
I like it a lot, except it's too light , and not much room to add weight...I've put in a little, a lead block in the cab, and some solder fitted in along the space along the interior edge of the boiler seams...there are a couple of club members who have one, and we're all trying to come up with ways to weight them up to increase traction.
My dream is to 'represent' , as close to proto as possible, Roanoke to Blufield and up the Guyandotte to Mullens... (maybe the electrified line through Princeton to Mullens,if I can every find some of those ELCs!!!), 1950, through about '67. Still debating whether to give up the N scale and seriously look for a bigger space to build the layout in...hmmm, 20' by 40-60' should be a start.
I run the 'Lost Virginian Coal Train' ( I live in Northern California) on the HO club layout...in a room about that size.

I just received some sad news...the Train Museum in Mullens,WV was destroyed by a flood last Sunday.... I was planning a trip this fall. From what I know of it's location... the town must be devastated. :sad:
I didn't know Bachmann was planning to release a J...any more info??
Where do you live? I was born in Roanoke, lived there a few years of child hood, Mom and other family live there now...or at least in the Roanoke Valley...Salem, Hollins.

There is a fella lives in Arizona, Don Brown,(dbn160) who models N&W, N scale, posts here sometimes...he's turned me on to a lot of great sites and info. His posts are still on a few forums.
Well, hope to hear from you again.
VGN
cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Virginian (edited 07-15-2001).]

MikeC

Jul 12, 2001
Columbus Ohio USA
Visit site
Hey VGN. Well first off I live in Columbus Ohio, so if youre in the area this fall drop by. One of my projects has been the cosmetic restoration of N&W Pacific # 578 thats at the Ohio Railway Museum. Just got the street side lettered today so everyone can see it. Hopefully I will be able to get som pics soon.
I have 2 of the mallets and so far havent had much of a pulling problem, although my mainline is mostly flat. Thep pull better than my 4-8-0s at least.
biggrin.gif
. I havent opened them up to look inside, sort of afraid to , they run so well now. Yes Bachman has a Spectrim J comming out this fall. ( probably more like next spring) Another loco you might be interested in will be the 2-6-6-6 that Rivorosi is going to release this christmas.
Too bad about the flood, I know how hard it is to keep a museum going.
frown.gif

Do you get the N&W / VGN group posts? N&W historical scociety has an e-mail group thats pretty active. Great place to ask questions about the area. Oh gotta go the pizza is here
biggrin.gif
.....Mike

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey Mike,
Welcome aboard!
Weren't the 4-8-0's the N&W homebuilts that they called "Mollies"?
I'm an L&N guy myself, so that makes us kinda like next door neighbors!
wink.gif

MikeC

Jul 12, 2001
Columbus Ohio USA
Visit site
Hi Charlie, I hadent heard that nickname before, but then I dont always remember things till someone beats me over the head with them sometimes
biggrin.gif
. I have heard the term Mastadons B4 but not sure if N&W used this term either. L&Ns not bad, they did have some nice steamers. And the Fs looked real nice too. Hi Shamus, you seem to get arround to a lot of the boards. Have you thought of getting a free net service? You seem to get more done on a layout than most of us., and youre pics are always an insperation.........Mike