Here's a good one for you----

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
I am the guy who did the no-no! I treated my Bachman 0-6-0 engine with WD-40 and cleaned the track with denatured alcohol because the engine wouldn't run. After, according to my peers, I did the no-no, it ran again but the sparks were flying. Well, the sparks have stopped and the engine is running fine now.
But here's the good one for you----
I have to nudge the engine just about every time I start it. After it gets going, it will go and go and go. No problem. Sometimes when I stop it, it doesn't need a nudge again to get started; but then again it does. Now get this! This is only when I run the train counter clockwise on a simple round Bachman EZ track.
Now picture this. I take the engine and caboose off and reverse them to let the train run clockwise. Guess what? No problem. No nudges needed. Time and time again after many trial stops, the little engine starts up just fine without any help. Why?

CN1

May 6, 2003
I have to nudge the engine just about every time I start it. After it gets going, it will go and go...This is only when I run the train counter clockwise on a simple round Bachman EZ track.
... to let the train run clockwise. Guess what? No problem. No nudges needed. Time and time again after many trial stops, the little engine starts up just fine without any help. Why?

When the loco is running clockwise it's always turning to the right
When the loco is running counter-clockwise it's always turning to the left.

You stated that your problem is only clockwise, so I would suspect an intermitent pickup on the right side (?) or loose/broken wire.

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
That's interesting. Boy, it ought to be fun trying to locate a teeny tiny "loose" wire somewhere. Would it run at all if "the" wire was broken? I suspected it was a dirty wheel, assuming that electrical contact was better one way than the other. I also tried reversing the electrical connection between the transformer and the track. That has no effect what-so-ever. It's the direction of the train that matters. Weird!

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
XavierJ123 said:
That's interesting. Boy, it ought to be fun trying to locate a teeny tiny "loose" wire somewhere. Would it run at all if "the" wire was broken? I suspected it was a dirty wheel, assuming that electrical contact was better one way than the other. I also tried reversing the electrical connection between the transformer and the track. That has no effect what-so-ever. It's the direction of the train that matters. Weird!
This may NOT be the cause of the problem, BUT- I had an HO 44 tonner than ran fine in one direction with both bogies turning, and dragged one of it's bogies in the other direction. The problem was eventually traced to a slightly misplaced worm on the drive-shaft of one motor, allowing the shaft to have too much end play and move in the bearings. Rotating one way, no problem - rotating the other way, the shaft moved forward about 1/8", and it jammed the gearwheel under it because it was no longer lined up properly. The cure was a small amount of brute force and a gentle tap with a small hammer so that the worm was forced along the shaft to where it should be. If you go too far a pair of snipe-nose pliers between the worm and the end of the motor will move it back. Never had any more problems. This tip came from the very nice guy in the UK service dept. I believe Bachmann had a lot of burnt-out motors at one time because of this problem.
HIH
Shortliner(Jack) away up here in the Highlands:thumb:

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
There are only 2 wheels that normally pick up power on one side of the loco due to the traction tire. When the driver with the tire is to the outside of the turn it's flange will make contact with the rail and the loco will have better electrical pick up.

If cleaning the wheels doesn't correct the problem I would remove the bottom cover and clean and lubricate the axles and bearing surfaces of the drive wheels.

CN1

May 6, 2003
I had a similar problem with a diesel. One truck had a broken wire. Start with the simple thing first (KISS).

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
I had a problem like this with a kato locomotive that took me a while to figure out. The circuit board seemed to make contact fine with the pickups, when the locomotive went forward it was fine but would cut out in reverse. What was happening was that as the motor spun in on direction it would twist the frame ever so slightly opening the connection between the board and the pickup. As quick twist of the contact fixed everything.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
problem

I had a problem similar to this a long time ago. I finally found out that turning in one direction caused the trucks to short out against the chassis. A little nudge breaks the short and it runs for a time. Sometimes speed has an effect also with this problem.

Lynn