Here we go again "Freight car of the week"?

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I think that the photo that you refer to is one done by my good friend cn nutbar. All of my F-units were sold off years ago.
This CNR express boxcar, in the 1958 scheme, is another Accurail car, with the same modifications as my last post. The prototypes were both new cars and repaints of the older cars like that shown previously. Paint from Accupaint, and lettering by C-D-S.

100_5622_394417.jpg

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
This one is an Accurail 9 panel singlesheathed car. The only modifications were metal steps and grabs, plus rudimentary brake rigging. The paint is Floquil and the lettering is from Microscale. The car is one of 6 or 7 Southern Pacific and SP subsidiary cars that I did in order to use up the various roadnames on the decal sheet. I believe cn nutbar may have a couple of them, too.

100_5455.jpg

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Hmm, .... a couple of locos and a boxcar?:D Just kidding. I'm guessing that your referring to the white sides, something I was discussing with someone on the MR Forum. In Canada, government regulations required the use of lime, as a disinfectant, on stockcars. This usually made a mess of the car, appearance-wise, so the railroads began painting the lower car sides white, in an attempt to "even out" the appearance. I'm not sure where I read about this, or when it was first used. This car, a double-decker, is mostly white. The car itself has a bit of an interesting mystery behind it. I picked it up from the "used" table at a nearby hobbyshop, as an undecorated kit, for about five bucks. It was in a clear plastic bag, with no markings, or instructions, and no trucks. I later learned that it was from Proto2000. The mystery is that I got it several months before the models were first released.:thumb: I replaced all of the steps and grabirons with metal parts, after first filling all of the mounting holes with styrene rod, then redrilling for the finer wire parts. My stockcar roster is a real dog's breakfast of manufacturers: besides this one, there are ones from Train Miniature, Rivarossi, Athearn, Accurail, and Central Valley. I hope also to scratchbuild a few 36' Fowler Patent cars, if I can find the time.

Wayne

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Thats a cool story behind the car. Wonder how you were able to get one before they were actually released. You will also need to fill me in on what a fowler patent car is too.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here's a picture of a 36' Fowler Patent boxcar. This car is similar to the Montreal & Atlantic car that I posted earlier. They also made 40' versions. The Fowler Patent refers to the method of attaching the sheathing to the steel structural members of the car. While most cars of the era used a bolt through a hole in the "Z" bar, the Fowler cars used a bolt through a slot. This allowed the railroad shop forces to reposition the sheathing as the wood shrank, keeping the carbody "tight", an important consideration in an era when many granular commodities were shipped in boxcars "in bulk". CNR and CPR used thousands of these cars in grain service, right up into the '60s. I'm not sure if the Fowler stockcars were actually built as such, but many roads converted boxcars into stockcars by removing alternating boards from the side sheathing. Proto1000, makers of the Fowler boxcar models, also offer stockcar versions in CP, CN, and TH&B, but, like the boxcars, they have oversize plastic grabirons. At $35.00 to $40.00 per car, also a bit too pricey for my road's Purchasing & Accounting Department.:D

100_5628.jpg

Wayne

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
That's more than mine would go for too. I only pick up Athearn blue box kits. I really don't like the RTR stuff, I like to build. I've never gone into as much detail as you, but I'm also not as worried about the finer details as of yet either.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
This boxcar, in work train service as a tool & supply car, started life as a MDC/Roundhouse 36' truss rod reefer. The reefer door hardware was renoved with a chisel blade, then new door tracks were built from strip styrene. The door is from a Train Miniature USRA doublesheathed boxcar. The fishbelly underframe was built up from .060" styrene and a K brake system from a Walthers 50' automobile boxcar was added. The car got new metal grabirons all around, while the trucks and lettering came from the scrap box.

100_5536.jpg

Wayne

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I think we ought to change this thread to Frieght car of the month.
I was thinking...."Hey..No one posted one of these!". Then I went back through and found the Alldoor Catt posted...Oh...Well....
Here's the second one then. Walthers, from a two car set.

Attachments

• alldoor.jpg
    alldoor.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 70
C

Catt

Boy this week sure is a long one.:D :D :D Keep on posting them boxcar pics guys (and gal) ,and don't forget there are other "freightcar of the week " threads going on too.