Help with winter modeling snow scenes

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
I do know that one club exhibition "Alpine" layout, simply leaves the hardshell surface white and applies a coat of whitewash when it starts to look grubby. I had to ask how they achieved the snowy look, it was so effective
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
Using plaster as snow would work if you want to model just huge snowdrifts, but snow I've seen rarely looks that uniform and smooth. I think it's more realistic to have at least some areas where a little yellow/green grass shows thru the snow. Several companies make powdery white snow granules that you can use. Vintage Reproductions (I think that's the name) is nice because it has sparkly crystals in it that really look nice. :D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
There was a series of two article by Rand Hood (not sure if that is the right name) in MR about 10 years ago. Try the index of magazines at www.trains.com . Very useful articles. I'd look it up in my collection at home, but all my mags are currently packed... :(

A guy named Jon Grant (from England) also does some nice winter work. Click here to see one of his "how-to's" right here at The Gauge.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Will_annand said:
What about trying that spray snow stuff they sell for Christmas displays?

I am not sure if it would work or not?

I'm not sure what it is you are referring to; but if it is the stuff used to flock Christmas trees, I think it tends to turn yellow over time.