Help me fill a room (I've the space, but I can't decide on the layout)

Agamemnon

May 18, 2006
I recently ran by the idea of a railroad past my folks and to my surprise, they did not veto the idea of getting rid of an ancient sofa in the corner of our lower living room. If done, this would liberate an L-space along two walls approximately 230 cm on one side and 350 cm on the other. (7' 6" and 11' 4", respectively)

I got to thinking. What sort of layouts would you do with that kind of dimensions? continuous running is a must, but mind you, my prototype would be European, so it doesn't need to fit US mainline traffic. Both the ends of the L would be accessible from two sides, so a dogbone with large-radius ends would be one possibility.

Loco-wise, I want to be able to run European diesels and steamers from 1930s to 1980s (NEM eras II to IV), wheel orders up to approx. 4-8-2 and C-C (most of them about a foot long, max). I wouldn't mind running the occasional American diesel, probably nothing much bigger than a GP38. I do own a DD40X, but don't expect to ever have either the broad curves for it, or an appropriate string of freight.

Prototype-wise, I've half a mind to forego historical accuracy altogether, running whatever locos from whatever eras I like, mostly because being a stickler for detail does nothing to enhance my enjoyment for running trains. Besides, I could still "realistically" run freights to industries just the same, it'd just mean that occasionally a TGV would have to wait until the BR52 clears the platform.

So, how would you fill the available space? I'm fairly stumped because programs like XTrkCAD tend to have really horrible user-interfaces and as such, are exremely hard to use.

Agamemnon

May 18, 2006
It's HO, yes, although a poster at another board noted that the space I have would fit the world's most awesome Z-scale layout...

I think I can get away with 22-24" for European 4-6-2s such as the BR52.

Agamemnon

May 18, 2006
Turns out I don't have the space. I figured on the shelf being 3 feet wide (slightly broader for any loops required), and I just can't fit anything worth the effort into that space. For point-to-point, I'd need another 10 feet of mainline. For continuous running, another 3 feet of width. And I'd rather give up the space for a pool table than consider a switching layout. So, I guess the project is back on ice for another few years.

Thanks for the help.