Heavy duty flat

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Back in the 70's, I was quite taken by photos of PRR's "Queen Mary" and "Queen Elizabeth" 16 wheeled flat cars. At the time I tried scratch-building a Queen Mary, and while fairly satisfied with the results, it was not a note-worthy effort! Recently, I decided to try it again, but the curved deck is still beyond my skills in N, so I free-lanced the design a little. I've kept the original for sentimental reasons, but I am more pleased with the way this one turned out.

Attachments

• new16whflat05cr.jpg
    new16whflat05cr.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 232
P

philip

heavy rail shipment

Dick, Another great piece of rolling stock ya got there. Check this photo of the heaviest rail shipment in America. Refinery reactor for Standard Oil Co of Ky 1,330,000lbs. Watch your toes! Photo from the University Of Louisville Archive Library.

philip :)

Attachments

• heavy.jpg
    heavy.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 186

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Back when I was getting started, Model Railroader asked two modellers to do the same car, depressed center flat, for their "Dollar Car Series".
Don't remember one of them, but the other carved two pieces of wood, put a legth of plexiglass or something between them, and warmed it in the oven until it was shaped.
I think the other may have made frames from brass or plastic sheet.
I think that was late 50s.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
David,

Thanks for the memory jolt! I vaguely remember the article and the plexiglass treatment. Wish I'd have though of it but, I'd probably still would have messed it up!:D

Many thanks to all for the compliments. I enjoyed building the "beast"

Dick