Have Question about items before I buy....

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
I was chatting with a friend of mine and he mentioned he had some old H.O. gear that belonged to his Grandfather if I was interested. I took a quick inventory of the items and was wondering if you guys thought $150.00 would be a fair offer. The items are listed below. He told me to make him an offer (I hate it when they say that) but I really can't afford more than $150.00 so let me know if you think my offer is fair or if I should try to come up with a few more bucks before insulting him. Thanks.

Tyco operating tractor loader (Still in box appears to have been opened but never used)
55- pieces of 18" radius (mostly brass, a few nickle silver and steel, broken ties on few, brass is actually pretty clean)
9- rail bumpers
9- straight 9" sections (Brass fair condition)
2- #6 RH turnout
4- #4 LH turnouts (actually looks like only one is in working condition)
3- #4 RH turnouts (looks like only one good one here also)
1- #6 LH turnout
1- #6 double slip
1- 30 degree crossing
1- straight 9" rerailer
1- 9" dead end uncoupler
2- 18" radius rerailers
10- misc. odd & end pieces small
2- steel truss bridges
8- turnout switches (older lever type)
5- turnout switch wiring harness'
38 pieces of misc. sized trestles (none over 2.5")
and last but not least 34 pieces of rolling stock of various types and manufactures (a few boken but easily repairable. The majority in good condition)

so what ya think it's worth? Thanks for your time.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Personally, I think you could do better for your $150.
This seams to be all cheap trainset stuff.
I have bought similar lots for $50
Take it from someone that has recently built a layout with all used brass track and turnouts. Buy new nickle silver track and turnouts, it will save you a bunch of headaches.
After sitting around, the turnouts will develop electrical dead spots caused by dirt and corrosion on the jumpers between the rails and ties. I repaired all mine by cutting out the ties and removing the jumper straps and soldering jumper wires in their place.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Not to be insulting but I wouldn't take it for free! Maybe some of the rolling stock would be suitable for some projects. Save your money. Perhaps he can find some group to donate it to, like was done for some school kids here on another thread.

Gary

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
Well the $150.00 I had pinched back, I was going to use to buy an Intermountian C&O F7A and since I really already have all the track I need, all I really wanted to buy was his rolling stock (so I could practice my weathering without taking a chance of ruining my Kadee box cars) but he said all or nuthin so I guess I'll hunt me down one of those F7's. I have about 15 old tyco cars I can beat up on for now anyhow. I forgot to add that there was a couple of steam locos in there to. Nuthin fancy though. Older Bachmans. He said they run and they are in their boxes but the era I'm modeling steam engines where about all phased out so I dind't need em.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I was just looking for somebody to talk me out of it.:wave:

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
Gary H Pfeil said:
Not to be insulting

Not insulting at all.(I asked for opinions) :) Although for free.... I'd probably snatch it up. My motto "If it's free...... It's for me". heck I think if I could talk him into taking $30.00 for it I'd buy and set something up for my son. Hes only 3 and he loves to come down and talk to me while I work on my layout. Thing is.... he also likes to try and snatch my trains off the track when they go by......reminds me of a bad Godzilla flick. He would love to have his own. Hes really into trains right now. I take him down to the CSX yard in Columbus to see my dad when hes working the yard and not on a regular crew. He loves to watch the trains go by.