Has anyone ever made a themed railroad?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Elite Lancer, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Elite Lancer

Elite Lancer Member

By themed I don't mean based on something in real life. I mean something like a train set where all the building and trees were candy or like a sci-fi theme. You know, stuff like that. Fictional. Anyways has anyone ever made or seen something like that?

I know that if I could I'd make a sci-fi one where it's all futuristic looking. :thumb:
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

A local N trak club here has a D&D inspired module complete with smoke huffing dragon, castles and such. I'll see if I can't dig up a pic.
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Off-season Polar Express.

My wife's layout.
    Winter theme replaced by birdhouses for the summer.

Attached Files:

4. ScottyB

ScottyB Member

5. b28_82

b28_82 Member

6. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Crispy Crinkles, Jake, how well do ya think that would go over at our club?:rolleyes: :thumb:
  7. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Bob, is this the one you were talking about?
  8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Yes, John, that'd be the one:thumb: Puff lives in the tunnel on the right.:)
  9. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

10. brakie

brakie Active Member

I heard of a guy building a display layout based on Thomas The Tank and Sodor Island.This will be a 4x8' layout.:D
  11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Mine is based on the multitude of old western movies. Although not entirely fiction, most often they were quite liberal in their portrayal of cowboy life.
  12. viperman

viperman Active Member

Not long ago someone on here was posting asking for ideas for his next layout which was going to be a spooky/halloween theme
  13. csxengineer

csxengineer Member

Jurrasic park

Old friend of mine did a Jurrasic park layout in n scale. No pics, sorry. a switcher and some flat cars converted into a tour train.
  14. b28_82

b28_82 Member

It would have to be a personal module. Then they'd probably not run trains because of running over your module. although thats if you could get a permit for it. :rolleyes: :D
  15. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Gotta look up the club Constitution for that one, I guess...:rolleyes: :thumb:
  16. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

I build Christmas Railroad during the holidays. I know alot of people does, hoe I got all the way! When I lived in Wisconsin, I added LED light Christmas trees to the layout. Children making snowmen. On my snow covered mountain, I added skiiers. I even sprinkled snow on the trains. Go to www.geocities.com/RockIslandLine2000 and click on "Andy's Models " to take a peek:thumb:

17. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

That would be me guys.:wave: Been so busy though that I'm still at the benchwork stage.:cry:
  18. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Model Railroader magazine, years ago, had a few articles about creative, out of the ordinary themed layouts including one on the moon and another that was all about moving large sattelite dishes around in the desert by rail...might have been for the search for extra-terrestrial life project.... These musings were fun and helped get people to think outside of the box. I wondered if anyone every built one...judgeing by the creativity shown here I'll bet some one somewhere did!
  19. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Have you ever watched any of the Thomas the Tank Engine videos? Some of the scenes are very detailed and pretty neat! My 4 year old has quite a few of the videos and so I have seen a few of them a time or two! :D :D I would love to see some of the sets. I bet the people that got to build it had an absolute blast!
  20. viperman

viperman Active Member

Once you start making some progress, I'll be waiting to see the pics