Hard to read

Arizona Heat

Jan 26, 2006
Kingman Arizona/Dolan Springs Arizona
announce1 What's goin on with the black lettering on the blue background. I had a hard time registering because of it and now I find the same thing when I get a vBulletin? I just ignore anything that I can't read and start over again.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
When you're composing don't change the black text you see to black because it may look the same in the composition window, (black on white) it doesn't come out the same when you post (black on blue as opposed to white on blue). Once you've changed to color of the text, I know of no easy way to get it back to the default.

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
Ken,

I asked N Gauger if there were any plans on changing the color scheme used on the board or making it a setting that users could change.

He said it was on a list.

This question was posed on March 19, 2005.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I have a very difficult time reading some of the colored text...

If you look in the the line ditectly above the date at the very top of the thread, you'll see some buttons, one of which says "thread tools" click on it, & then click on "printable version", & it'll be much easier on the eyes! :thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Drew1125 said:

If you look in the the line ditectly above the date at the very top of the thread, you'll see some buttons, one of which says "thread tools" click on it, & then click on "printable version", & it'll be much easier on the eyes! :thumb:
Hey, that's one way to get Dave what he was asking for way back in March, '05 :D :D

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
Not really folks.

One of the things about running a forum is to make it easy on your users. That means that they should not have to switch to a different view of the site with other functions not availible.

Also a hard to read page isn't the best from a usability standpoint.

Not that I'd know anything about such things.

YMMV

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
theBear said:
Not really folks.

One of the things about running a forum is to make it easy on your users. That means that they should not have to switch to a different view of the site with other functions not availible.

Also a hard to read page isn't the best from a usability standpoint.

Not that I'd know anything about such things.

YMMV
Just a bit of background, not to dispute your statements, but for insight. When the Gauge was started by Dave Hagen, it was in blue with white lettering, hence the nickname, "Big Blue". It went that way for a long time, then Peter came along, changed to vBulletin, and changed it to a white background with black lettering. There was an outcry "where's our Big Blue?", so Peter made it an option, blue and white or white and black. About a year ago there was an awful, awful crash,:eek: and the Gauge was down for days and days.:cry: When it came back up, I guess Peter started with the Blue and white because that's what most people here were use to and wanted. As I remember, he did say he would eventually try to get the white and black back, but it was going to be a lot of work on his part, essentially duplicating the whole site all over again. A while back, Peter had to change servers and the Gauge was down again for a few days. There have been recent instances where the Gauge has slowed to a crawl, server problems, bandwidth problems, who knows. I'm guessing that getting the Gauge back on line and keeping it there became the foremost priority, adding the white background option wasn't.

That's how I see it, I hope I got my fact right since I did it from memory.:rolleyes: Perhaps Mikey or someone else has a better handle on it than I do.:wave: :wave:

Arizona Heat

Jan 26, 2006
Chessie6459 said:
I am.sign1 Always liked being different from everyone.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
redface2.gif
I didn't know that my original post would open up a can of worms! As I said in the post, I had a hard time registering because of the hidden letters and I almost forgot about being a member and forgot about registering for a couple of days. Then I found out if I held down my left click it would bring up the white lettering and that is how I was able to register. Works the same way now in vbulletin.

My display has always been white on blue since I've been here. I guess I selected the old scheme when we had an option. White text on blue has always seemed the best for me, as I feel the white background is too stark and glaring. I always use a blue background for all the major displays on the screens I develop for industrial control monitors. It seems the most readable and easiest on the eyes. It may be just what I've been used to ever since the days of pfs write or whatever that was.

Anyhow I'm unaware of any "hidden" text. Am I missing sumpin'???

Peter T Davis

Apr 14, 2004
New England
www.zealot.com
Hi Ken, didn't mean to pick on you or anyone.

I can say two things about this topic.

1. It's near impossible for me to make everyone happy.
2. Despite #1, I'm planning to take a crack at it and am trying to work out a way to make the site look nicer for new members but keep the old ones from forming a lynching party for me. :)

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Drew1125 said:

That is a matter of personal opinion Drew.
Currently I spend more time reading on The Gauge becuase of the White letters on Blue Background are "easier on the eyes" than black letters on a white background. Too much white is too bright for my old eyes. :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Peter T Davis said:
Hi Ken, didn't mean to pick on you or anyone.

I can say two things about this topic.

1. It's near impossible for me to make everyone happy.
2. Despite #1, I'm planning to take a crack at it and am trying to work out a way to make the site look nicer for new members but keep the old ones from forming a lynching party for me. :)
You got that one right.:rolleyes: But as I remember, you appeased the lynch mob last time by adding an option button. Like Cid and others, I left it white on blue, but others could select black on white. I find the blue background more soothing on the eyes, while others thought the white background made it easier to read.

That does bring up some interesting problems though. Right now it's not a problem using light-colored text, like yellow or pink, but these would be very difficult to see by anyone using a white background. Same goes for those set for a white background using blue or other dark-colored text, it would be hard to read for anyone using a blue background. Good luck at whatever you do.:wave: :wave: Just remember your rule #1 applies no matter what you do.:D:D

Ken, like Cid, I haven't any idea about "hidden text" when registering. It's been three years since I registered, so maybe there's something different, or something I forgot about, so could you let us know a bit more about that please? You've raised my curiosity.

Arizona Heat

Jan 26, 2006
ezdays said:
You got that one right.
rolleyes.gif
But as I remember, you appeased the lynch mob last time by adding an option button. Like Cid and others, I left it white on blue, but others could select black on white. I find the blue background more soothing on the eyes, while others thought the white background made it easier to read.

That does bring up some interesting problems though. Right now it's not a problem using light-colored text, like yellow or pink, but these would be very difficult to see by anyone using a white background. Same goes for those set for a white background using blue or other dark-colored text, it would be hard to read for anyone using a blue background. Good luck at whatever you do.
wave.gif
wave.gif
Just remember your rule #1 applies no matter what you do.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Ken, like Cid, I haven't any idea about "hidden text" when registering. It's been three years since I registered, so maybe there's something different, or something I forgot about, so could you let us know a bit more about that please? You've raised my curiosity.
OK ezdays I will try to explain it this way: Mikey posted In memoriam to Robin on 10-17-2005 and the only way to read it is to highlite it by holding down left click and dragging through it. The same thing happens when trying to register. The white on blue in the posts is fine, it's just the registering and vbulletins that I am referring to. I think that if the registering process could be improved it could possibly generate more members to this forum. I have checked out more MRR forums and most of them are easy to register because of their set-up. As you will see in the memoriam to Robin, it does present a problem. (My hat is off to Mikey for the touching memoriam
smile.gif
)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Will_annand said:
That is a matter of personal opinion Drew.
Currently I spend more time reading on The Gauge becuase of the White letters on Blue Background are "easier on the eyes" than black letters on a white background. Too much white is too bright for my old eyes. :D

Will,
I might have misunderstood the original question...What I meant I had a problem with wasn't the white on blue, but I occasionaly see posts here that are black text on blue, or red text on blue...that is what I have a hard time seeing...
I guess I'm a bit of a special case, though...I developed an eye disease when I was 40 years old, & I am now legaly blind...I use zoom text software, & I have to do a lot of other what some people would consider crazy things to stumble my way through just about everything! wall1 :curse: :D
I realize that it's kinda crazy for me to even be involved in this hobby, but that's been one drug I just haven't been able to kick!sign1

Arizona Heat

Jan 26, 2006
Drew1125 said:
Will,
I might have misunderstood the original question...What I meant I had a problem with wasn't the white on blue, but I occasionaly see posts here that are black text on blue, or red text on blue...that is what I have a hard time seeing...
I guess I'm a bit of a special case, though...I developed an eye disease when I was 40 years old, & I am now legaly blind...I use zoom text software, & I have to do a lot of other what some people would consider crazy things to stumble my way through just about everything! wall1
curse.gif
biggrin.gif

I realize that it's kinda crazy for me to even be involved in this hobby, but that's been one drug I just haven't been able to kick!sign1
announce1Drew, you are a very special person. Being legally blind and still involved in this hobby is what inspires you to figure out the text whether it be black text on blue ( and this is my point about the black text on blue). Don't ever kick that drug about the being invlolved in this hobby.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif