Happy Waitangi Day

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Waitangi Day commemorates the signing of a treaty at Waitangi on 6 February 1840 by a group of Maori chiefs and the British Government, represented by Lieutenant-Governor Hobson. The treaty was subsequently signed by other Maori chiefs in various locations throughout the country. The question of what obligations the Treaty of Waitangi placed on each side has been a subject of contention ever since.

This exhibition provides a brief history of how Waitangi Day has been commemorated since Governor-General Bledisloe gifted the treaty house and grounds to the nation in 1932. The gift and the events of 6 February 1840 were first officially commemorated there two years later. In the last 25–30 years the style and mood of the commemorations have been influenced by the increasingly heated debate surrounding the status of the Treaty of Waitangi in modern-day New Zealand.

For more info just type "waitangi day" into google.

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
Staring Tom Hanks, Melanie Griffith, Melanie Griffith, Melanie Griffith, Melanie Griffith, Melanie Griffith, Melanie Griffith and Abe Vigoda.

One of the Best movies of all time, Right up there with "The Princess Bride" (Cary Elwes, Robin Wright) "Arsenic and Old Lace" (Cary Grant, Myrna Loy) and "Hudson Hawk" (Bruce Willis, Danny Aiello).

(in no particular order)

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Ummmmm... It was Meg Ryan co-starring, co-starring, co-starring, co-starring... Also the people on the island were the Waponi-Woo's. Not being mean. Just one of my favorite movies.
I WANT THAT LUGGAGE!!:eek: :D
Meg would be nice, too.:D:p

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
Sir_Prize, I went home got out the video to watch it last night and realized my error. Thought about logging in and changing it before anyone else could comment but figured what the heck, the're so hard to tell apart that most would forgive my slip.

Is it true that luggage was inspiration for Terry Pratchet's first "discworld" novel?