Group Question

JBBVry

May 14, 2004
Thomasville NC
groups.yahoo.com
ok guys i was in a chat room the other day we were talking about what else but trains. we got to talking about a train set that came out in the mid 70's we think. it was like the Addams Family train you could blow it up and crash it. i kind of remember this. i think. does anyone know if this was a real set? i have ask a few other people and most say they kind of remember somthing like this but not sure. so any help would be nice.

F

Fred_M

After a search on Yahoo, Google, and ebay came back with nada I would conclude that they were never made, or so few were made that there are none in circulation. FRED

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Seems like a set that could have been made but I don't remember it either and I was much in tune with the Addams family and model trains at the time! :) It would be interesting to see what such a set would be like!
Ralph

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I don't think there was actually such a set--consumer products groups tend to take a dim view of train sets that explode!

It would be simple to make, though--simply wire a locomotive's motor backwards so it runs in the opposite direction of a conventionally wired engine. The exploding part, however, is between you, your insurance company, and the BATFE...

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't remember any exploding train, I seem to remember Lionel making a boxcar that would "explode" then you would fit it back together again until the next time, but I don't remember what triggered the explosion or what the point of it was.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I never saw an exploding train. But I remember that I owned an exploding windup automobile. (Today I think it must have been around 1:24 scale, and it was a model of an American car...)
When it ran into a wall or any other obstacle, the bumper triggered a mechanism which sent the roof, the hood, trunk and the rest of the body flying all around. :eek: :p
Then you had to gather all the parts, fit them together, and off it went for another crash... :D :D :D

Ron

JBBVry

May 14, 2004
Thomasville NC
groups.yahoo.com
if i remember it right. it was called "The Dynamite Express" the train ran up a bridge and you could make the bridge fall apart. the train falls in. i remember there being a plunger that i think used air to blow up the bridge. then again it couls have been just a dream.