Greenhouse

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Hey guys, any ideas on how to scenic the inside of a greenhouse. My mom gave me Model Power's "Cathy's Flower Shop" for Xmas (her name is Cathy), but I'm expanding it to include a greenhouse and warehouse (my very first kitbashing/scratchbuilding exercise, actually). The greenhouse superstructure is gonna be of lucite (with styrene seams), but I'm still not sure how I wanna do the inside. My wife came up with a couple of ideas, but I thought someone else might have attempted a similar exercise in the past.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Michael!
That sounds like an interesting project!
I would think that various colors of ground foam could be used to represent flowers & plants...youi could also include some small trees...you could use bits of styrene strip rod, tube, etc., to represent pots & planting boxes...

Good luck!!

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Hi Mike,

Been awhile since we've talked.

I agree with Charlie, The gound foam should work great on the inside/outside. Good luck and keep us posted it sounds like a great project.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Go there- Be the Greenhouse.

I love greenhouses. There are rows of exquisite flowers and plants. A model (you didn't mention scale) would indicate "near" perfect trim of the rows but the overall view of the tables of plants are a mottling of various shades of green and speckeled with color.

As suggested- ground foam and colors. A nice dark grey floor to make the colors "pop", a little colored chalk to indicate a spill here and there of potting soil- you're in!

Roses
$5.00 a dozen~~~~~~~~

Mark

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Mike, I have not tried this yet as I am not as far as you in the layout, but a good friend of mine did flower shop with a small garden out back on his layout. He went to the drug store and got a package of contac C, the cold medicine, make sure you look at the little capsules and get the ones with all the little colored small bead size round pieces in them. He opened the capsules, separated all the bead like pieces into colors, there is lots of different colors and bright ones. He used these for the rows of flowers, flower pots etc. He also uses them as apple, lemon and orange trees. Uses a woodland scenics tree, turn it upside down, add some sproay glue, and sprinkle appropriate colored pieces on and you have a fruit tree. For his hanging baskets heglued a trimed clump of coarse woodland senics foam onto the end of a thin piece of wire, spayed glue onto the foam (to represent moss) then spinkled smay different colored contac c stuff on to represent the flowers and hung several on the outside of the flower shop. Looked impressive. Just a thought, good luck and I like others would like to see some pics when you are done. Ron...

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Farmer Ron's responce reminded me of a thought I had once to use the multicolored sprinkles sold for ice cream topping. I never did tho, as I saw something my wife did which was so obvious I was stunned. I had been wondering how to get scale flowers on a garden in HO, I was not happy with bits of foliage I had tried. She was working on a 3D mural at the time, where a false front cafe was built on a painted mountain lake. She took a small clump of my clump foliage and simply touched a small brush with appropriate paint color on it to the foliage. The effect was surprisingly good.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Organic scale greenhouse gardening?

I don't know if I'd buy into using "sugar" or "chemicals"- both meant to be ingested. I'd have to think both items would succumb to the effects of atmosphere- one growing mold and the other melting- eventually. The green house would go out of business (not to mention the EPA/OSHA violations).

Perhaps painted (I'd even use flourescent shades with some control) and shredded paper or pieces of ground foam painted but I wouldn't want to start a biological experiment on my railroad. Uh- sorta been there- done that :eek:

Mark

I edited this message to let you know that I have a personal fantasy (just one of too many) of building a model railroad in a greenhouse just so it has natural light all day/night long- plus the fact that it'd be as big as a, well- big as a greenhouse! Perhaps a new post?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I edited this message to let you know that I have a personal fantasy (just one of too many) of building a model railroad in a greenhouse just so it has natural light all day/night long- plus the fact that it'd be as big as a, well- big as a greenhouse!

Mark,
I wouldn't be too surprised to find that a G scale railroad has already been built in a greenhouse!
Pete

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Hi again Mike,

I was reading the Contact idea and remembered that Woodland Scenics sells little beads in redand orange colors. They might sell other colors as well. May you could check out a craft store or craft section in one of the bigger chain stores in your area.

My daughters got some bead kits for christmas a few years ago and there were some real tiny ones. I'll warn you though these little beads went everywhere.:) :D :) :D :)

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I bought a couple of cheap G-Scale Bachmann sets a few years ago for static display about the house. I have toyed with a garden RR since!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:(

and I've been an N-Scaler for the most part due to time, money and space.

Mark