Good Quality n scale Coal?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Jim Cullen, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Jim Cullen

Jim Cullen Member

Who makes good looking n scale coal in various small sizes? Going to need a couple of different sizes for the coal tipple and hoppers. Jim
  2. Blake

Blake Member

I use Woodland Scenics fine coal. I put it in a shot glass and crush it a little finer with an x-acto #2 handle. It can then be sifted if desired.
  3. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

I have used some of the aquarium gravel that come on black. N is so small that a pile of this gravel looks quite good.
    Sold in most pet stores.
  4. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

5. McFortner

McFortner Member

Since I use the carbon with the ammonia removal crystals in my aquarium filters, I find the small packets of carbon that come with the refil packs seems to be the right size and looks really good.

Just my $0.02.

6. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

Find some real coal & cut it into teeiny tiny pieces. :D :D :D
  7. Jim Cullen

Jim Cullen Member

I did have some teeny tiny men with teeny tiny sledge hammers that made teeny tiny pieces of coal, but they all quit because their pay was too small....
  8. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

Where do they work now?
  9. inkaneer

inkaneer Member

n scale coal

I use Woodland scenics "cinders" to represent coal that is mined for use in power plants. The coal is crushed to about 3/4 inch or less in size to facilitate rapid burning. Regular coal is too large to represent this. Looks great in the double tub hoppers that it appears everyone is making these days.
  10. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Welcome to the Gauge inkaneer.
    I will have to try some of that Woodland cinders too. Will look for them at a trainshow this coming weekend.
  11. babydot94513

babydot94513 Member in training

This is probably more of a question, but what about track ballast (crushed to size) and sprayed with either Floquil engine black or use india ink?
  12. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

I don't want to be accused of starting anything (yes I do...not I don't...stop typing to yourself! OK.), but have you invented a new type of removable eoad? A renovable eoad?

Sorry...the coffee hasn't kicked in yet this a.m...