general painting question

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't think you will have any problem with different brands of water based acryllic paint. It is generally the solvents used in paint that cause incompatability. Floquil is laquer, Testors is enamal, and accupaint is alcohol based, so trying to mix the brands will cause problems between the solvents. The acryllic paints are all water based, but I thin mine with denatured alcohol for air brush use.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
dl721a said:
Is it ok to use acrylic paints from different manufacturers on the same model?
First of all, welcome to the Gauge.

Secondly, Russ is right. You can mix most paint of the same type from different manufactures, but you can't mix differerent paint types, even from the same manufacturer. I pick out my acrylic paint by the color, and don't pay attention as to who made it, and it all mixes together fine. Any laquer will mix with any other laquer, but you have to be careful about mixing enamels of different brands, since some manufactures have different ideas on what goes into their enamel, and they are not always compatable.

dl721a

May 6, 2005
West Babylon NY
Thanks for the welcome. I've been looking around The-Gauge for a couple of weeks and finally got around to actually joining. Everyone seems friendly and eager to share any info.

And thanks for the replies. I was wondering about this due to the cost of some brands of paint. One posting I read mentioned that a gallon of model paint would cost something like $100 more or less at $2 or $3 an ounce.

I guess some will be wasted when testing color mixes or techniques, but there's no way around that.

Thanks again!!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
You may need to buy the expensive model railroad paints for painting locomotives and rolling stock, because you need railroad colors, but for everything else on the railroad, you can pick out the inexpensive craft paints at craft stores. I volunteer at a children's church camp in the nearby mountains. I'm in charge of the craft program at the camp, and we have found the the least expensive paint to use is acryllic house paint. We buy as close to pure color as we can get for primary colors, and then mix many of our other colors from the primary colors. We tried to make orange from our red and yellow one year and kept getting a "peach" color. Either the red or the yellow had white in it, so I bought a gallon of the most orange color I could get at the local Home Depot. I bet the guy mixing paint at the store wondered who was painting a house bright orange!

Don

Jan 14, 2005
If you figure the list price of model paint by the gallon, it's around $500 which to me is pretty expensive. For a primer, I've found the 98c can @ Wallyworld or others to work very well. I'd reworked the nose on a P2k DLW E8 & found this a perfect match for toouching up. I sprayed the primer into a Floquil jar & then airbrushed it after masking needed areas. Worked like a charm. It works well on plastic surfaces from other mfrs. as well.

Don

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Don said:
If you figure the list price of model paint by the gallon, it's around $500 which to me is pretty expensive....
Well, things aren't quite that expensive when it comes to craft acrylic. Wallyworld sells 2 oz bottles of acrylic starting at 44 cents for a whole lot of different colors in flat. Larger 8 oz. bottles don't seem to save you more than a few pennies. Still, that only comes to less than $30 a gallon. Gloss is about twice that and go to a craft store and you'll pay four times that.

For underpainting my scenery, I have a quart of flat brown that I had them mix for around $6 and another quart of white that I also use on the scenery and can tint it using the craft acrylics. .

Don

Jan 14, 2005
I was referring to paints like polyscale etc when I cited the price @ $500 per gal. As to what your referring to you are right as I've gotten some @ Wallyworld at the price you stated & they work well.

Don

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Don said:
I was referring to paints like polyscale etc when I cited the price @ $500 per gal. As to what your referring to you are right as I've gotten some @ Wallyworld at the price you stated & they work well.

Don
There's somethink foating around the Internet comparing the relative pricing of different liquids to gasoline. Gasoline at $2.50 a gallon is a bargin to things like a gallon of liquid paper, or purfume or even plyscale paint.