Gauge Kitbashing Challenge?

Jac's Lines

Jan 28, 2005
Rochester, NY
I've been following the poll thread on the Atlas depot with interest, and had a (crazy?) idea. Would anyone be interested in joining a kitbashing challenge based on the Atlas Signal Tower? The rules would be something like the following:

-all participants start with the same kit (and the selling points for the Atlas signal tower are that it's cheap, readily available, and more or less identical in N, HO and O scales).

-participants can apply any level of modelling skill to the kit -- from basic construction and landscaping up to and including extensive bashing and scratching until the kit is no longer recognizable. Major structural changes, the use of commercial or homemade augmentables, lpb, vehilce, detail parts and landscaping are all permitted but not required. The only restriction is that the majority of the original Atlas kit must be incorporated into the final model.

-participants should post regular updates (hopefully with pictures) and descriptions of their progress. We could start a separate thread for the challenge.

-participants should try to get finished by the end of December and post a final picture of their structure on their layout or diorama.

I can't claim this as a new idea, and I have to acknowledge that this is inspired by challenges on other boards. To my knowledge an Atlas Signal Tower challenge hasn't been done before, although there are of course lots of articles out there on bashing this ubiquitous structure.

The challenge is non-competitive, except to the extent that hopefully participants will be inspiring each other with good feedback and encouragement to complete the project. This could also be a good chance for people to experiment with a different scale or try out a new building technique. The Atlas kit also just went on sale through Walthers (under $7) so the start up costs should be workable for most.

Does this sound interesting to anyone? I'm between projects and sort of uninsipired right now, so I thought it might be a cool idea....

C

Catt

I just made the suggestion to the powers that be that we make this an official Gauge project. :D

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Catt said:
I just made the suggestion to the powers that be that we make this an official Gauge project. :D

Of course.. the "powers that be" seldom listen to Catt! :D :D

Gotcha!!! Johnathan!!! :)

Sounds like we're going to do it... Details (And Official Rules ) to follow soon!!!!!

Thanks For the idea!!!!!!!

~~ The Gauge Staff

C

Catt

Nobody ever listens to Catt,but he still gets blamed when it gets broken. :D

Jac's Lines

Jan 28, 2005
Rochester, NY
Great news! :thumb: Thanks Catt for looking into making this an official challenge. My kit is on the way, and I'm looking forward to getting started.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Catt said:
Nobody ever listens to Catt,but he still gets blamed when it gets broken. :D

it's Not my job to run the train
The whistle I can not blow..

I'm not allowed to say how fast
the railroad train can go...

I'm not allowed to shoot off steam
nor even clang the bell..

But let the darn thing jump the track
and see who catches hell :) :) :)

C

Catt

The contest is now an official Gauge "DO". It will be officially announced as soon as we get some loose ends tied.

A quick rundown for any and all interested parties.

1- contest will run till 1-1-06

2- popular vote decides winners- voting is from 1-1 to 2-1-06

3- if your a Gauge member ,you can enter this means everybody even Mikey :D

4- The most important part,you must base your kitbash on the ATLAS tower (it comes in 3 different scales) You DO NOT have to use it for a tower,but you must use most of if not all of the kit in your bash.By the way you can build it stock and just super detail if you wish.

5- There will be a specially done Cyber Certificate awarded to all winners.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I already built one about a year and a half ago for the simular contest on the atlas forum. Unfortuently I was lacking in the imagination department and just built it right out of the box.

C

Catt

Well Glen,fire up that imagination, and have another go at that tower.There's nothing in the rules that says you can't use a previously built kit.

galt904

Jan 17, 2005
Beachville ON
Well, I'll bite. I'm getting back into the hobby and I think this may be a fun way to test and improve my skills. I don't need a tower, but I think I can bash it enough to loosely represent a house in my hometown. Now, to find a kit in a timely manner....