G. E. O. Trainfest 2004

upguy

Oregon Western Lines, CEO
Jan 26, 2001
Canyon City, Oregon, USA
http
Okay, Forumites, (I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules)-- here goes....

After a lot of time spent threatening to do something (In an earlier thread I suggested I wanted to make our small town a "Mecca" for model railroaders), the Canyon Mountain N-Gineers have decided to do something. Our railroad group has reserved the Grant County Fairgrounds' Trowbridge Pavilion, and we are planning to turn our town upside down with an event that we believe will be of interest to railroaders of all kinds and inclinations. We are (for now anyway) calling it the Great Eastern Oregon Trainfest. Plan to come and fill the Labor Day weekend with enough activities in or near John Day to make it a time to remember. Events are still being formulated, but here is a sample of what you can expect:

Canyon Mountain N-gineers Presents:

G. E. O. Trainfest 2004

Swap Tables
Clinics
Videos
Operating Layouts
Prizes

Saturday,
September 4, 2004

Grant County Fairgrounds
John Day, Oregon

10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Also take the scenic drive to visit the Sumpter Valley on Sunday. Take in the Sumpter Flea Market and ride the historic Sumpter Valley Railway (narrow gauge). Sumpter is located approximately 55 miles east of John Day toward Baker City.

From John Day, take US Hwy. 26 east through rustic Prairie City which was the southern end of the Sumpter Valley Railway. See the historic Sumpter Valley Railroad Depot Museum in Prairie City’s Depot Park a few blocks south of Highway 26 on Main Street. Watch for the interpretive sites as you take Hwy. 26 east of Prairie City. At the top of Dixie Summit there is a short hike to one of the SVRR switch backs which the trains navigated in order to descend into the John Day Valley.

Turn at Austin Junction onto Oregon Hwy. 7 toward Baker City. Just after you enter Baker County at the top of Tipton Summit, there is another interpretive site with historical information about the Sumpter Valley Railroad. Stay on Hwy. 7 until just after you cross the Sumpter Valley RR tracks. Watch for the Sumpter turnoff, turn left, and go about 4 miles to Sumpter. (Reverse these directions if going from Sumpter to John Day.)

See the N-scale Oregon & Northwestern Railroad on display in the John Day Dairy Queen.

???? Visit the Train Barn's open house on Monday morning September 6, 2004, and see the HO scale Oregon Western Lines 12' x 32' modular layout. ????

WWJD?
(Where in the World is John Day?)

Need Information?
G. E. O. Trainfest Swap Meet
Pat Bentz 541-575-4247
Everett King 541-575-0714
trainbarn@oregontrail.net
Motels, Tourist Information
Grant County Chamber of Commerce
541-575-0547

We expect to have a great time! It will be a lot more fun if you can be here. Plan now to attend!

Let me know what you think. I'll pass it on to the committee. ;)