Fun With IMEX Trucks

Benny

Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
OK, this is great...I made a schedule so i would get stuff done...and having done that, this is ALL that I got done this last week.

This is an IMEX Truck(HO; 1:87) that was Originally a green fire engine that has been a little rebuilt.

This truck was supposed to carry a water tank, but as I was working on it, things changed. I didn't like having one Axle under that much weight(It wass a large water tank) and then I got another order (cheap lot) of three more trucks, and decided the Waterworks trucks might be blue...We still have no Idea what color will be good for water works, because blue was also going to be the Phone company...And green is still open, Even if that is the color of REA trucks...White is just not that Appealing...but probably the proper color anyway...

You can see the rearend of the truck to the left...the white tanks needs more paint, right now it looks Hideous.

Waterworks1.jpg

I had already shortened this truck about a foot, and now my saw cut out another foot or so up to the tanks...I needed another scale six incees to a foot more out of the frame, so I removed the stock IMEX tanks. I also removed all frame aft of the rear sping shackle. I attached a pair of modifyed Athearn Tanks in place, and attached the rear frame to the front frame using a piece of 0.020 Plastic over the entire length of the rear framwork. To make the rear end fit, the frontspring shackles have to be sanded or cut off.

Tractor7.jpg

I added a piece of scribed 0.010 Styrene to the middle, and then built a backstop. I made the mudflaps, lights, and license plate (which needs to be redine, after losing it during placeing it up on the backstop where it is concealled even worse with the spare tire) From 0.010 styrene, and then the crossbar to hold in the mudflaps from 1x4 styrene...I think, I looks right a least.

Tractor6.jpg

Finally,I repositioned the spare tire and added an Athearn Turntable

Tractor8.jpg

...and painted everything a nice coat of black...all of my IMEX REA trucks will be painted in a similar fashion.

Tractor2.jpg

Tractor4.jpg

Tractor3.jpg

Tractor1.jpg

And here it is with an unpainted Roco Fuel tender...I still have to paint it a color...probably yellow, as well as the other tractor that usually pulls it, and press those vehicles into service with the Highway department.

Tandt1.jpg

I still have three small details...1) The Cables that connect truck to trailer, 2) Hitch for other types of hitches, and 3) a 1940s Vintage AZ license plate!

Too bad these things retail for 7.00!