Frozen door locks.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
:curse: Why is it when your car doors freeze shut, it is always the front seat doors?

I had to use a back seat door to get something out of my car just a bit a go and the doors are frozen shut.

Forcing them generally tears up the rubber seals molding.

I work at it a while and I get a back door open, climb over the seats, no easy trick and then couldn't get back out. I pulled the door shut behind me and it was frozen also and wouldn't reopen.

I had to drive around 30 minutes before they thawed enough to open again.

It is about 10* with the wind blowing.

I was of course in a bath robe and slippers.

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Use a little silicone lubricant on the rubber seals. Keeps them pliable and they won't freeze.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Good idea. It rained then the temp drooped with in hours and everthing here is ice covered.

The doors were frozen shut and the locks as well.

N

nachoman

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

it's sunny and warm in southern arizona today. :)

kevin

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
throw this in the liberal global warming lovers faces ! LOL,here in ohio its even colder,i think its almost 1 degree with wind!although this ice was fun for little kids some little girl actually DIED from the ice when a whole freakin tree fell on her!who new snow and ice are earths most powerful weapons.

P.S ive got remote start muhahaha!warm cars on entry,no more frozen butts for me!

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Gil,
another trick is to smear the rubber seals with glycerine (glycerol). Cheap to get and works like a charm.

If you want you can apply it to your tires, too. They become black and glossy - just like a car in a dealer's showroom. :D

Ron

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
I have seen glygerine recommneded in factory service manuals. I believe it is the preferrred door seal lubricant.

MadModeler

May 20, 2006
You're lucky Gil. All four doors on my Tempo would freeze solid.:curse: Not a pleasant situation when you're trying to get to work.

As for my pickup, the passenger would freeze and the Jimmy had only one rear (passenger door) freeze up.

My mechanic suggested the same stuff for the doors. Good luck!

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
oldtanker said:
What happened to global warming???
After the last couple of weeks we had here, I'm inclined to believe it's a myth perpetuated by Greenpeace and other environmental groups to aid their continuing efforts to shut down the oil companies.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
oldtanker said:
What happened to global warming???

Rick

It's going the same way as the global cooling they claimed was happening in the 60's. Bunch of hype. Not to say there isn't a trend, but I don't believe in the 9/11 conspiracy theory either. I saw that it was warmer in Alaska than in the Midwest the other day, so there might be something there. No doubt that people should be good shepards of the earth, atleast do our share to keep it spinning as we found it. We are just visiting, right. Eh, we'll probably get waxed by an exploding comet anyway.:D

We've actually been lucky when it comes to vile weather, this year. No real problems with ice.

Gil! Get some warmer clothes. That must have been a sight.:thumb: