From my N scale daze...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Sifting thru a storage unit revealed some pics I took 20 years ago when I had better eyes and a bigger budget. The Eastern Shore Line was a mythical operation that theoretically ran the length of the Delaware/Maryland/Virginia Peninsula. Locals like to think of it as the state of Delmarva. Please forgive the yellowed and grainy pictures. Anyhow, looking east into Berlin Yard and Roswells Processing Plant....

Attachments

• nscale4a.jpg
    nscale4a.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 278

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Once in Berlin Yard, we find a New Haven Pacific wondering where the :eek: are we?....My roads were done with 400 grit emery cloth with seams finished with plastic model putty. Once down, I'd paint the lines and go over it all with Dulcote.

Attachments

• nscale1a.jpg
    nscale1a.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 276

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Route 113 is two lanes thru Maryland. Here it is passing the ESL Berlin Yard office to the left and Harrison Hall hotel to the right. That Pacific was an Atlas product and quite a good runner, one of my best locos and capable of pulling a string of 15 cars up the 3% grade into town.

Attachments

• nscale2a.jpg
    nscale2a.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 289

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
The ESL's one bridge over Confederate Gap, near the town of Snow Hill, a quiet reminder of where the Peninsula's sympathys lay back then. In 1986, the remains of a Confederate soldier were found near there and buried with full military honors some time later. (True story, only the location has been changed) My bridge was built one peice at a time, in place, with trains in operation. I would glue the ties directly to the bottom of the rails and, once halfway across, removed any temporary support. A little hairy for my LPBs but, it kept the trains rolling.

Attachments

• nscale3a.jpg
    nscale3a.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 269

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Robin, that's a Wiking product I picked up on a whim. When I realized how European it was, it was too late to return it, so it became my first foray into Prototypical Plausibilty Stretching 101. A glimpse of my control panel can be found in this shot, built on company time in the sheet metal shop :eek:ops: My two most faithful runners, a LifeLike F unit and a ConCor PA (gee, I miss them, sigh) idleing at the ESL's Selbyville servicing facility. As seen on the panel, with some clever positioning of track, I was able to stuff in a 3 track mainline on a layout only 2'6" x 3'8" in size.

Attachments

• nscale5a.jpg
    nscale5a.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 279

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
The last shot shows Route 113 passing thru farm country. The grey house to the right was one of my first scratchbuild projects, a farmhouse built in a crumbling condition, using cardboard and split match sticks, ala Mathyro. It is in the first picture, shown with the junkyard that grew around it. One can barely make out Bubba's puddytat standing on the railing of the house on the left. Hope you enjoyed this lttle excursion into my modeling past :wave:

Attachments

• nscale6a.jpg
    nscale6a.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 281

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, Tyson and John. Hard to believe it was so long ago. I started it in 1983, just before I went to NCO school. It was a single track folded dogbone that went under itself. Built it from jobsite scraps so I could concentrate on motive power and rolling stock. You could have had a brawl on it and it wouldn't have dinged a rail. Just before I went into Bible College in '90, I left model railroading for about 2 years and donated the whole smack to a local club. Still see bits and pieces of it all over their Ntrak and permanent layout.