Freelancing

Steamnut

Guys, I've already filled a 2' x 4' module and a 26" wide door. My two biggest modelling problems are that 1. the fun stuff like engine facilities, coal mines, and even hills just take up too much space (I THOUGHT I had made a credible mountainside, and company town until I tried to put the Pola coal mine into the scene
frown.gif
)
and, 2. The darn thing needs to look good (to me) and STILL be sturdy enuff to hold together when we hafta tip it on edge to get around tight corners (either that, or I'm just gonna hafta cut that door in half...)

C

Catt

upguy welcome to the Gauge.It's always nice to have another freelancer on board.
biggrin.gif
Both your site and your layouts look great.

------------------
Catt! A freelancer for life

upguy

Oregon Western Lines, CEO
Jan 26, 2001
Canyon City, Oregon, USA
http
My Oregon Western Lines should make me a prime candidate for a NARA membership, and since it doesn't cost anything my wife said it would be okay for me to join.
biggrin.gif

My website address has been posted above, so I won't repeat it here. Let me know my number and show me where the refreshments are being served.
smile.gif

------------------
upguy

C

Catt

The Oregon Western would be a welcomw addition to NARA. Contact Robin at matthyro@aztec-net.com,and let him know I sent you.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Catt! A freelancer for life

[This message has been edited by Catt! (edited 02-04-2001).]

Art Lamb

Jan 4, 2001
Plymouth, MA
Visit site
I believe that freelancing is the only way to fly. I don't count rivets... I don't count windshield wipers... and I do have fun. I love to use some equipment as it comes from the box... and I love to change so of it to be what I want.

I don't believe you can recreate the prototype anyway, as there are just to many details. That is my thought, but if someone wants to do it, then knock yourself out. After all it is your RR, not mine.
Art

C

Catt

Geez,Art I wish I had said that.That is exactly the way I feel about the whole thing

------------------
Catt! NARA#1 & A freelancer for life

grandmesa

Jan 5, 2001
Nice track design!
The way I operate my Oklahoma & North Eastern
is either as the O&NE (a freelanced railroad based on the former Northeastern Oklahoma) or as the Miami Branch of the Frisco's Afton Subdivision (which is what the real line was from 1964 to the BN merger in 1980). This way, I can run either my Alcos or my Frisco Geeps. Heck, I'll even run a Frisco engine &
pass it off as loaning motive power because
the Alcos are down.

------------------
Railroadin' on the Western Slope!

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hey Catt and all you good ol' freelance N scalers:
I guess I'm headin'in the direction of blendin' both worlds,proto and freelance..The dream is to recreate in miniature the railroad of my child hood..The N&W and VGN of southwest Va./southern W.Va. Now I see that it is a lot of fun to create my own little W.Va. mountain railroad town . I'm in the drawing board-setting up the layout stage.As I do the next small layout and learn more about 'how to',I suspect the 'real thing' will be nearly impossible to replicate, so I've already started to freelance an"impression" of the VGN/N&W in the appalachians. I'm still intent on following the prototypes in terms of motive power and rolling stock, infrastructure, topography "scenery" and period settings etc... for me,being a geography and history buff, that's a big part of the fun!
I certainly understand the thrill of freelancing..I'm sure no rivet counter!!!If I can come close so far as havin' the right equipment on my roster, for what ever year I happen to be runnin', and a few authentic lookin' models of buildings and famous bridges etc, then my desire to 'replicate' will be satisfied.
It is frustratin' tryin' to finding N&N or esp. VGN stuff, but that's what hooked me into this in the first place!!!
biggrin.gif

Hope you're all havin' as much fun as I am!
cool.gif

Virginian

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hey Catt and all you good ol' freelance N scalers:
I guess I'm headin'in the direction of blendin' both worlds,proto and freelance..The dream is to recreate in miniature the railroad of my child hood..The N&W and VGN of southwest Va./southern W.Va. Now I see that it is a lot of fun to create my own little W.Va. mountain railroad town . I'm in the drawing board-setting up the layout stage.As I do the next small layout and learn more about 'how to',I suspect the 'real thing' will be nearly impossible to replicate, so I've already started to freelance an"impression" of the VGN/N&W in the appalachians. I'm still intent on following the prototypes in terms of motive power and rolling stock, infrastructure, topography "scenery" and period settings etc... for me,being a geography and history buff, that's a big part of the fun!
I certainly understand the thrill of freelancing..I'm sure no rivet counter!!!If I can come close so far as havin' the right equipment on my roster, for what ever year I happen to be runnin', and a few authentic lookin' models of buildings and famous bridges etc, then my desire to 'replicate' will be satisfied.
It is frustratin' tryin' to finding N&N or esp. VGN stuff, but that's what hooked me into this in the first place!!!
biggrin.gif

Hope you're all havin' as much fun as I am!
cool.gif

Virginian

W

wt&c

I free-lance, but I do try to accurrately detail prototype, and super detail my free-lanced stuff. I don't count rivets, but adding, a snow plow, knuckle couplers, windshield wipers, and maybe some sun shades, doesn't hurt either (all weather windows of course!!)

Art Lamb

Jan 4, 2001
Plymouth, MA
Visit site
What I like about freelancing is that you don't have to listen to someone tell you that such and such RR didn't have that. Who cares if they did or didn't as the Federal Furnace Lines will run anything that fits on the tracks. If we like it then it runs. Amtrak makes a run through our towns, and the B&O goes right behind it with another passenger run. After that a BNSF intermodal makes its way, but most times we only allow B&M trains to get on through. We just love seeing trains going anywhere.

Do we have our own colors... Yes... but right now the paint shop is closed so that is in the future for us.
Art