Foam roadbed

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by cidchase, Nov 9, 2006.

1. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

I'm working on a very small corner layout with 10" radius curves. I've got some
    foam roadbed, which I think will curve okay if I cut it in half. I saw mentioned in
    a previous thread some "latex contact cement" or "foam-safe contact cement."
    Has anyone used this stuff? Think I could get it at a Hobby Lobby or Lowe's?
    I need something real tacky to hold that roadbed down. TNX:)
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Cid: I used a green contact cement made by lePages. Its in most of the big hardware chains in Canada.
    Only problem with that is the almost instant bond; there's no room for errors.
  3. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Hi Cid:

I used black taks that you can get from Walmart cheap. They work good. If you make a mistake, like I do:curse: , you can easly pull them out. When I ballast my track, the tacks stay in. The glue will harden after the ballast is laid. It becomes hard as a rock!

Where you see the arrows in this picture, are the tacks!

Attached Files:

4. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

I'd love to tack it down, Andy, but its on pink foam. (one of the disadvantages
    to foam subroadbed, don't hold nails worth a flip) :D :D
    I'll look for that LePage's around here, thanks, David
  5. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Ok Cid. As you can see. I used white foam.

6. Rusty Spike

Rusty Spike Member

I attach foam to foam with PL300 - an adhesive made specifically for the job. It is in the caulk section. It works great - forgiving within a few minutes but a good solid hold thereafter.
  7. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Try Woodland Scenics 'Foam Tack Glue' - specially designed for the job