Foam Putty

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Bob Collins, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. Bob Collins

    Bob Collins Active Member

    Anyone ever heard of and/or worked with a material that has been identified to me as "foam putty?"

    If so, where do you buy it and how does it come, can like "real putty" or maybe in a spray can?

    I have my bench work completed and I have some spaces between foam sheets that I'd like to fill in before I proceed, but I don't think it is a big deal and can probably proceed without doing anything until O get to doinjg scenery and then I can become really creative, which isn't like me at all :eek: :) :) :rolleyes:


    Bob from frozen Iowa
  2. interurban

    interurban Active Member

    Hi Bob how are you? Not seen you for a while. :)

    I used something like that it came in a spray can , it came out very fast and it does fill gaps and then some !!! I had to shave the excess off.
    Won`t use that again.

    $&^%^&**( awful stuff
  3. Bob Collins

    Bob Collins Active Member

    Where did you purchase it, LHS, hobby shop??

    I've not had a lot of time to post, but have been on some from time to time. As I get back on the ball working on my layout I'm sure I'll have lots of dumd questions :D :D

  4. interurban

    interurban Active Member

    Good stuff Bob.
    I bought it a a hardware store It`s more of a foam sealent I suppose, it may work for you.

    Can you not stuff paper in the gaps after drenching them in hydrocal?
  5. Bob Collins

    Bob Collins Active Member

    I probably could if I had some Hydrocal :D I'm going to have to break down and buy some anyway as I know I'll need it eventually.

    I just finished inventoring turnouts and I have enough #4's and 6's that I salvaged from my old layout to do my new one without having to buy more. Thank goodness for small favors. I don't have near as much room in this house, so am limited to about 6'6" X 12'6", although I think I have enough room on one end to slip in about a 4 track staging yard with each track about 4' long. It's because of a strange shaped wall in one corner of the room. I'm going to be winging it when I get to that point :eek: :eek:

  6. ezdays

    ezdays Out AZ way

    I've never heard it called "foam putty", but it does sound like the stuff that comes in a can as expanding insulation. I've got some at Home Depot. Not too expensive, but I've used it to patch air leaks around seams and for insulation around pipes and the likes. It expands probably around 15:1 so you have to be careful. It will seek out any route it finds and goes where you really don't want it to go. It drys quickly and can be cut with a knife or saw and can be shaped with a rasp. I still have a couple of cans and had thought about using it to create some instant hills, but so far I haven't tried.
  7. Bob Collins

    Bob Collins Active Member

    Thanks very much Don. That's all good stuff to know. I need to go to the hardware store tomorrow anyway, so I'll look around. It might be interesting to use the stuff by shooting it into a rubber mold used to make rocks, rather than using plaster. Might try that too, while I'm messing around ;)

  8. siderod

    siderod Member

    I doubt you'll be able to get it out of said mold...that stuff sticks! I had it on my hands for a month after doing some repairs to the grandfather's house.

    I think woodland scenics makes a foam putty, i think...comes in a can, as a paste-like substance and can be spread around. not sure, i'll look into it and report back.

  9. ezdays

    ezdays Out AZ way

    sidrod is right, that stuff will stick to anything. What I had in mind was to spray some in spurts and let it set up, then go back and sculpt it with a knife. I have a feeling thought that it would wind up being too flat with no character and I'd wind up putting plaster on it anyway.
  10. Bob Collins

    Bob Collins Active Member

    I found it on Woodland Scenics. Thanks for the idea of looking there. From the description it will do just what I am looking for.

  11. 60103

    60103 Pooh Bah

    I've used the WS foam stuff - in a plastic jar. Matches pretty well with foam insulation.
    I've used it straight, then with a bit of water to get it going. I also mix tints in with it to get a base colour. Later this week I go down to see if the lid was left off when I packed it and if it can be rejuvenated.
  12. ATSF-Loco

    ATSF-Loco New Member

    Filling the Gap

    I used "drywall mud" to fill my gaps in my foam and it's easy to work with and a simple wet sponge will smooth it out. And it gets nice and hard too....worked for me anyway!

  13. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery


    Rather than "Great Stuff" (expanding foam in a can) I think what you may be lookin gfor is lightweight spackle. It is used for filling big-ish holes in drywall. It does not shrink when drying, and is (as the name says) lightweight - it is almost a foam texture when dry, but you can smooth it for a paint-grade finish.

    It comes in a tub sort of like whipped dessert topping. You'll know you have the right one when you lift the container - it feels kinda empty.

    I have used it in the past to make rocks (carved in place), and also in a cheap-o homemade tinfoil mold. Worked pretty well. It is not nearly as sticky as the expanding foam.

    Good luck! Hope that helps.

  14. Bob Collins

    Bob Collins Active Member

    Many thanks to all of you. Since the temp is a brisk 1F the morning I think I'll head off for the local hardware store and get to work on solving my gaps situation. I'll let you know on this thread how it turns out.

  15. Bob Collins

    Bob Collins Active Member

    Just to update you, I bought some lightweight spackle and soem "Great Stuff" this morning. Have tried the lightweight spackle and it seems to work just fine. Have not tried the "great Stuff" yet as when I read extremely sticky on the can I thought I might try it later, or more likely "as a last resort."
  16. railwaybob

    railwaybob Member

    I've used spachling compound quite a bit on my modules. Because I want my modules to be light, plaster, hydrocal, and other plaster compounds are out. I carve the hills in styrofoam, glue them to the styrofoam deck, and then use spachling compound to make the transition between the deck and the hill. It works really great! It has the consistency and lightness of Dream Whip dessert topping without having to rush to put it in place like you have to do with plaster.

    Once it dries, you can sand it, carve it, or add more spachling compound.

    I've also tried the spray foam. It didn't work. Once it is sprayed on, it's difficult to sculpt it or mold it. And, if it gets on your hands and dries, it's with you for the next two weeks. You can "wash" it off with acetone but that can cause other problems.

    If you could find a mold release, such as a silicon spray, you might be able to get it to release from the mold. Anyone ever tried using spray foam this way?
  17. interurban

    interurban Active Member

    Thanks for reminding me, as I have a bucket of that left after building the room.
    I`ll dig it out and use it up!
  18. interurban

    interurban Active Member

    I use watered down washing up liquid in a spray bottle.
    Just lightly spray the molds before adding the mixed compound , and the mold should come off easier.

Share This Page