Floquil colors

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by J. Steffen, Feb 21, 2007.

1. J. Steffen

J. Steffen Member

My hobby shop owner say this is rail brown and so does Floquil, but I would swear this was Olive Drab. What do you think?

2. radar

radar Member

Railroaders call it rail brown the army calls it olive brown:D sign1
  3. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

When I first saw Floquills "Rail Brown"(I used the spray can version) I was thinking...I'm weathering tracks......Not painting Army tanks.

Radar..We used to call it Olive Drab............
  4. nachoman

nachoman Guest

can't help. I'm colorblind when it comes to browns and greens!

5. viperman

viperman Active Member

So what is a good bown color for the ties? I have "rust" for the rails already
  6. J. Steffen

J. Steffen Member

Just going to leave it the way it looks.
  7. J. Steffen

J. Steffen Member

Should the ties be painted brown?
  8. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 Member

I see a lot of concrete ties from new tracks mostly carrier by amtrak and some freight. (within 4 years built) (white cloudy ish color) lol..
  9. jtloconut

jtloconut Member

floquil makes tie brown. You can go to walmart and the cheap paint $.99 spray cans brown , rust , gray, black . Experement with layers. Once you balast , paint your earth, It all ties together. Protect those switch points.:thumb:
  10. J. Steffen

J. Steffen Member

Well I was thinking about leaving it the way it is and ballasting over it just to see what it looks like.
  11. nachoman

nachoman Guest

I just noticed from your picture -

be sure to paint the foam with latex paint or some other protection before spraying floquil or other laquer/spirits based paints near it. Without protection, the solvent in the paints will melt the foam - and may give off toxic fumes that are even more toxic than the paint fumes alone.

12. J. Steffen

J. Steffen Member

So that explains the weird naked indian and the talking coyote....
  13. brakie

brakie Active Member

No..Ties are creosote black until it ages then it turns to a brownish black then it turns to a dark gray color.