Flatcar bridges

Uintah Dave

Jan 16, 2007
Winnemucca, NV
I've seen lots of flatcars as bridges. Usually over small creeks or washes. I don't think I've ever seen it modeled though, might be an interesting idea.

Dave

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
It seems to be a regional thing. As liven_letdie said, there are lots of them in California, but I've never seen any around here, and there are two things we have plenty of, creeks and railroads. Local practice and custom, I guess. Maybe the western roads are more ameniable to giving away or selling old rolling stock to private parties.

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
There is a company that I buy old parts from here in Northern California that specializes in turning old flat cars into bridges. It's actually more popular than you might think.

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
There was a major bridge on I-5 in Southern California that washed out, and Cal-Trans bought several retired flat cars and made bridges out of them, and encased them in concrete to make them permanent.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Sounds like a win win situation. The railroad gets more that scrap price for old flats. The companies doing the bridges can offer bridges at a lower cost than new built and the buyer can save a bundle over the cost of new construction.

Thanks for sharing that!

Rick

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
the only thing close to that that i've seen is a couple boxcars used as a shed/small garage.he repainted to the C&O colors unfortunatley I had no camera!it was pretty cool though!same with the idea of using old RR equipment for good use not just scrap metal.--josh